Guess I should have put a smoke detector in the garage!

Started by 40, March 29, 2004, 11:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manyolkars

Quote from: "GPster"My guess is when you went to bed the dog snuck out into the garage and got on the seat of the '35 and was practicing his driving. When the arcing started he ran to the other side of the house so you wouldn't think it was him before he started telling you. My first thought (although they usually prove wrong) would be if it's the original steering column that the horn wire going down the center of the shaft is frayed. We had a dog years ago that was bothering us while we were sleeping. We put him in our utility room and closed the door one night to get some sleep and he woke us after a while barking and scratching on the door. When we got up to quiet him down we saw the problem. The window air conditioner in our living room had caught on fire and caught the drapes on fire and fire was blazing up the window to the ceiling. The closest place to get water was our utility room and when I opened the door the dog got out,ran past me and the fire, down the hallway and up the stairs to check on our kids that where still asleep. The scratch marks still exist on the back of our utility room door as a memorial. We now have central A/C and a "King" size bed so our current best friend doesn't have to sleep on the floor. What was the question? GPster

My 35 Ford started honking one night. I found the wire in the center of the steering column was bad down at the  Original light switch

Well....Yesterday and today would have been time much better spent had I stayed home and worked on the 35! To say that I wasted my time and a 900 mile trip looking at the old caddy would be a vast understatement :roll: Bruce,was that short in the wire at the top of the column at the light switch?I hooked the battery up again tonight when I got home and everything appeared fine...I grabbed the drivers side horn and wiggled/twisted it a bit and it began honking...twisted it again and it quit...appears there may be a short right at the horn itself.I've been driving since 6AM so have decided I might be able to perform a better investigation if I wait till tomorrow when I can actually hold my eyes open :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"