Bunny Run - Jackson, TN

Started by alchevy, March 23, 2006, 11:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Well, I made it up there around 3pm on Saturday. Had to stop on the way and work on my electric fan because it did not want to come on when it was supposed to. I went through the process of elimination like I have learned to do when the fan stops working. Checked the fuse, checked the relays (which looked like they needed to be changed), checked the ground under the hood, checked the connections from the fan under the hood,...trying it after each step, still would not come on. I was in a Wendy's parking lot doing all of this (with the hood up on my Chevy and there was a Ford lot next door and I heard a few snickers coming from there when they saw me) and decided to drive down the road and see if I could find a parts house to replace the relays. So I watched my water temp gauge each time at the few lights that stopped me and it did ok. Found an Autozone up the road. Pulled in there and took one of the relays with me. "Do you have two of these?" I asked. "What kind of car is it going on?" "Doesn't matter because it is a street rod." "Oh." He looks up in the air and pulls down a part number and rushes to the back. I think to myself..."This is a Real Parts Man!" He calls back "How many you want?" "2 of them." It's the exact thing just another brand. Took them out to the '40 and installed them. Still no fan. But these have to be better than the old ones. Raised the hood again and start back again trying to find the problem. The Real Parts Man comes out to smoke and walks over to the car. I tell him what I am trying to get to work and he tells me to run a wire to the battery and see if the fan works. So I do that only to the alternator because my battery is in the trunk. Fan works! I then look at the ground wire. I remember from reading a recent Rodder's Digest magazine article (their 15 things not to do). It said not to find a good ground and put several things on it. That's what I have done in a few places. My headlights and my fan were on the same grounding point. A small bolt through the radiator surround. I start taking that aloose and checking on it. I then decide to put the headlight ground back on and then go from the next location where the other end of the headlight ground wire is at and attach my fan ground there. So I'm putting the bolt back in place and tightening it up real snug and the bolt comes apart in two pieces. Well...now what do I do. I had a backup plan. I used a larger bolt close to the area. Got it all put back together and tried the headlights and they worked. Fan still would not come on. But it had been sitting there so long that the motor had cooled down. Then a decision had to be made: I was halfway to the car show, so do I go back home or continue on. I decided to go onward. When I stopped the car at one of the next stops, noticed the fan was on and working great! What a beautifull sound!

Registration was 'til 4pm so at 3pm I was fine and since I had pre-registered. Found out today that my number (327) was the last pre-registered number they had and there were 495 total registered cars.

I even pre-registered for next year's event and I am number 172. They took in 175 pre-registrations for 2007 and then gave away 5 prizes out of those.

Someone took home $1,077 in the 50/50!

Had a nice drive home today. It was good to see Ken (reborn55) again. Pictures coming soon.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

reborn55

Good to see you too Al.  You missed all the weather by coming down on Saturday.  Glad you had a good time.  :D

alchevy

A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com