Project in primer

Started by 58Apache, April 07, 2006, 12:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Hi guys and gals,

Enjenjo sold me the 396 in this 69 Malibu I am finishing up a frame-off restoration on. The transmission as well.

I had them both rebuilt and moving on to prep'ing for paint after replacing quarter panels and door skins. Not to mention replacing buckets of rust and a vinyl top removal...yuch!

I had a pro body guy help me for cash for a while, and still is helping me for a few hours on Saturday mornings.

I am also learning how to do body work this way and put in a lot of sweat equity. I want to learn the right way, make it look good, and still be able to say I did some of it. I did replace a lot of rusted metal before this body guy came into the picture.

This is my first ever restoration project, and I have learned a lot. My 58 Apache will come next and will be done only by me. It should be easy after this.

What you see in the pictures below, IF I can get them to attach, is a fresh application of black epoxy primer from Southern Polyurethanes. I had read a lot about them and just had to try it on the advice of many pro painters online. This was taken after the car was expoxy primered before, then high build, then block sanding, glazing and more block sanding with 80 grit.

On to SPI 2k high-build primer tomorrow.

Hi to the Franks, from Steve in Dayton

58Apache

Second try at posting pics

enjenjo

You've come a long way on your first build. Congratulations!!!
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Congratulations. Once the body work starts, I just get more and more  excited about a project. I'm sure you are feeling the rush as well. Keep us posted. BTW, what color are you going with?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

phat46

Looks great, You're lucky to have the direct help of a real bodyman!
Those '69's were the best looking Chevelles IMHO

58Apache

Thanks guys! Yeah it's been a long time coming. I bought the car 4 years ago, but didn't start workinmg on it for a while. I wasn't sure of job or fund stability.

I did a complete frame-off restoration, and this was a typical mid-west rust bucket. In some ways I regret buying the car because of it taking me so much longer and costing so much more to get to this point, but on the other hand I sure learned a lot and gained a lot of experience because of it. It also probably saved it from a certain eventual junk yard
future.

I agree that 69's were the best looking year for Chevelles. I had my choice of cars to choose, I chose to do a 69 Chevelle,  and this car kind of fell in my lap. The only reason I decided to go for it was because of some good friends and street rodders. You rodder guys really impressed me in the things you do and showing that anything can be done if you really want to get it done. Knowing that my friends and guys like Enjenjo and this web site was there for support helped give me the courage to take it on.

It did take a lot of effort to get a body guy to work for me, but I pay him a very good incentive  :)  I had to get a second job to support him. Can I claim him on my taxes? :)

As for color, I have a custom purple that's closer to blue than red ...but that black has me thinking. I plan on putting down a black base coat anyway, as several spots do have to remain black. Some white racing stripes are in the plans, but still finalizing the exact look I want.

I am thinking about adding some custom side vents off a Firebird to the lower front fenders and then having someone paint some real fire flames just after those vents. Also a spoiler in back is in the plans.

A lot of upgrades went into this including front drums to 12 inch disc brakes. The car was originally a 307 with automatic on the column. That 4 speed will be nice behind the 396, now bored to 410 plus a few performance enhancers. Not to mention A/C and a modified GM serpentine belt system that now turns a standard rotation water pump  :-o

34ford

Looking good. Had a 70 Chevelle when I was younger, bought it new for 7,100 Wish I still had that car.  Keep up the good work.

bob