1940 Mercury 2 Door Sedan

Started by Kobies Kool 40, April 06, 2006, 10:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kobies Kool 40

Greetings All!  I am in the opening stages of my 1940 Merc 2 door sedan.  The frame is almost done, went with Nova subframe and rearend and have a 388 stroker built ready to go in.  Would like to know if there is anybody that has a 40 Merc who can give me advice on what to do for certain parts: running boards (mine are shot), grille (half is trashed), firewall (want to have a smoother look).  Any info and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.   :D

58 Yeoman

Welcome to the board.  I've got a 41 Pontiac, which is an odd ball car to find parts for, but I've been finding a lot of NOS stuff on ebay; fenders, grilles, bumpers, etc.  Good luck in your search.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

I believe a 40 ford *' firewall will fit with minor modification. On the running boards, you going to run rubber covers or smoothie? You may have to make them, not as big a deal as you might think. the grille may be tough.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Kobies Kool 40

Quote from: "enjenjo"I believe a 40 ford *' firewall will fit with minor modification. On the running boards, you going to run rubber covers or smoothie? You may have to make them, not as big a deal as you might think. the grille may be tough.

I plan on going smooth with the running boards.  On the firewall topic, I have heard that the 40 Merc is wider than the Ford and that it actually might be closer to the 41-48's.  This car is frustrating talking to some shops/dealers, it seems they are with ya right up to the Mercury part of the conversation.  It seems this 2 door sedan might be a bit rare?

enjenjo

Well then just get one that is too big, and modify it to fit.  It's not a big deal. Or make your own. the tools needed are a couple 2x4s, tin snips, and a hammer.

On the running boards, I hammer formed a set for a 34 Airflow, they are similar in shape to a 40 Merc.  I shaped maple to the shape of the board, and hammered the metal over that. Took two days to make the wood form, and about an hour each side to form the running boards.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.