Ford 8.8" Rear Questions

Started by BFS57, March 23, 2006, 09:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I now have the problem of a leaky rear end in my Victoria. It has a Ford
8" (or so it was called by it's builder) in it. It looks kind of like my 57' chevy rear end which I did the seal on a while ago. I'm guessing I should do this task about the same way.
Disconnect the drive shaft, pull the wheels, pull the brake backing plates, drain the fluid, use a slide hammer set up to pull the axles, pull the axles, then un-bolt the third member. Do any of you know if my assumption is correct?
It seems to be leaking (Lots of Fluid on the floor, just sitting) at the pinion and with my luck it won't be an easy fix so I am planning to pull the third member, send it to a shop here in Orlando and have them fix it right! I don't trust my talent as a mechanic to do this kind of close tolerance thing. I haven't been driving this car lately because of this so, it's time to get this one on the road for summer!
Bruce

enjenjo

That's correct for an 8" Ford rear. However, an 8.8 is a different animal.

I think you may find there is no plug to drain the rear. In that case knock one of the bottom studs into the housing after loosening the nut, and the oil will drain around the stud. The stud is easy to reinstall after the third member is out, you can pull it back into place with a nut, washer, and socket.

8.8 load through the rear, there is no removable third member.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

I recently did the same thing on my 8" in my 46. Since you and I are the same age let me recommend you take the vehicle to the shop and let them do it on site. It seems each time I do this job, oh, once every few years, it gets more and more difficult. Next time, I will let them pull it and re-install it. Lifting that center section back into place is not easy anymore.Yes, I do use a jack to help. From what I saw those guys can have the center section out by the time I can get the car jacked up and stands under it. Ok, I'm slow. Joe

BFS57

Hello;
Once more, EBAY to the rescue! I found a person selling a rebuilt 3rd member to my rearend. His ad mentioned he was a certified Ford Tech with 30 years building rearends! So.... I sent him an email and low and behold, he told me how to do the job! Doesn't sound too difficult. He mentioned that this kind of rearend leaks because the bearing is bad. I did notice a funny sound last time I had this car out.
Don't have to remove the whole third member, just the 5 bolts on the pinion support, then the fun begins! Got to press out old bearings and races, replace with new ones.
Any one else had this experience?
Bruce

BFS57

Hello:
I'm puzzled! Last night, I jacked up my car to get where the rear end was leaking. Upon a better look, I see the leak appears to be between the pinion bolt on plate and the third member seal. The area right behind the pinion yoke seemed dry of oil. Should I run the car while it's jacked up to see if I can pinpoint any leaks? I know it's not really a safe thing but it's up on stands and the floor jack is under the rear end housing.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Bruce

enjenjo

The pinion support has a Oring seal, easy to change.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
I am not very knowledgeable  about ford rear ends. Would I: Disconnect the shaft, take the nut off the pinion yoke, then remove the yoke, followed by the bolts on the support? Is there any manual available to give me some visuals?
Thanks, Bruce