Western Wheels

Started by OldSub, March 27, 2004, 06:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

I have a set of 15 x 8.5. Western Wheels that I'm trying determine what fit.

These are slotted mags that are probably at least 25 years old.  I first remember seeing this set on my brother's pickup in 1980 or 1981.  I know they will fit a 5-lug Chevy pickup, and I presume most big pattern GM cars.

The holes are slotted to allow the wheels to fit other patterns.  And that's the part I'm trying to sort out.  What other patterns might they fit?

I've looked for a Western Wheels web site and have struck out.  Anyone have any idea what else these might fit?  I'd sure appreciate any help!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

Most unilug wheels will fit two sizes. Either 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 or 4 3/4 and 5. there are some that use oval washers that will fit 4 1/2, 4 3/4, and 5 inch. these use offset washers for the 4 1/2 or 5 bolt pattern, and centered washers for the 4 3/4.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"Either 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 or 4 3/4 and 5.

Thanks Frank!

I know they fit a 5x5 Chevy pickup, so I guess I should just try them on one of my 5x4.75 vehicles.  I was thinking of getting rid of them, but if they will fit my wifes pickup they may have a new application here.

Steve@OldSub.com

C9

Like Enjenjo says, some of the wheels have an oval washer.
ID'd by a matching depression carved in the wheel.
The lug hole in the oval washer is offset to match the bolt pattern.
Most big swap meets will have a vendor selling the oval washers.

For - what sounds like - the wheels you have, the ones with an oval hole milled for the lugnut what will really help is a set of the thick (about .187 or so) washers made by Centerline.
I've seen other thick washers, but the Centerlines seem to be the best.
They've been a buck apiece at the swaps I go to.

Reason you want these thick washers is, using the thin washers that come with most mag lugnuts will have the washers "coning" in (becoming tapered into the hole and no longer flat) and the coning in bit will cone in the aluminum around the oval lug hole.
Which makes it difficult to install the lugnut on the next installation due to the folded over wheel aluminum won't allow insertion.

The thick Centerline washers stop the coning over bit and in my opinion they do a better job of holding the wheel on.
Easy to see that when the thin washers cone in, you've lost some of the torque originally applied to the lugnut.

I'm not wild about the oval lugnut holes in mag wheels, but the thick washers go a long way toward making them more usable than they were.

I find it hard to believe SEMA approved this wheel mounting system and much prefer wheels drilled for a specific pattern.

Might do yourself a favor as well and make up 2-3 installation lugs.
Get some cold-rolled rod of the correct diameter or machine it to same, drill and tap one end to match your lugnut size and thread, hacksaw a screwdriver slot in the closed end or drill and tap for an allen bolt with a head OD small enough for the wheel to slide over and install them with JB Weld or red Loctite.
Install them on the lugnuts, slide the wheel over them, install a couple of regular lugnuts and remove the installation lugs as you go.

Installation lugs are commercially available, but I'm not sure where.
They are a worthwhile tool.
Rassled more than a few mags around when I couldn't get the lugnuts started.... :?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

OldSub

Quote from: "C9"Like Enjenjo says, some of the wheels have an oval washer.
ID'd by a matching depression carved in the wheel.
The lug hole in the oval washer is offset to match the bolt pattern.?

Mine don't have the depression milled in them, just an oddly shaped hole.  The dark circles around the holes are wear from washers, not milled depressions.

Note the shape of the hole closest to the lower right corner of the image.  That's not a trick of the light, they are all like that.  It looks like the wheel will fit exactly two patterns, and the lugs fit either all the way out, or all the way in, and can not slide between the two.

I need to find a lug nut to check that.

I found a disk brake rotor with a 5x4.75 lug pattern on it, but until I find some lug nuts I won't be able to tell if it really fits.

Does the picture or information change anyone's thoughts as to what these wheels are?

Steve@OldSub.com