Need some stainless welding and polishing info, please

Started by 48builder, March 31, 2006, 05:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I need some help with the interior stainless trim on my dash. I think Sean is a stainless welder, and I'm sure some of you gusy can help.

I'm making a custom dash for my '48 Chevy, and I want to use the original SS center section. To make it work with my gauge panel, I need to reshape the circular cutouts on each end. I'll need to fill in a couple spots. I'm afraid that welding it will make it discolor. If it does, will polishing it remove the discoloration? What's the best way to shape it? I was planning on using a carbide bit on my die grinder to get thr rough shape, and then sanding rolls to finish it.

Thanks in advance

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't believe that trim is stainless. It's chrome plated die cast.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Sean

Quote from: "48builder"I'm afraid that welding it will make it discolor. If it does, will polishing it remove the discoloration? What's the best way to shape it? I was planning on using a carbide bit on my die grinder to get thr rough shape, and then sanding rolls to finish it.

If it is stainless, then yes, polishing will remove the discoloration. Best thing to remember when you're working with polished stainless, is to do as little damage as possible if you intend on repolishing it. In other words, be careful not to grind anymore than you have too, and do your rough grinding with a  60-80grit flap wheel instead of a hard grinding wheel. The fewer deep scratches you put in it while grinding, the less metal you have to polish off getting them back out.

Most stainless trim is about as thin as paper, and difficult to weld; even for a pro. On anything like that, I would suggest using  1/16" or 3/32" Tungsten with a very fine point, and very low amperage; like around 15-20amps to start with. At the low amperages needed for thin stuff, you might as well forget using filler rod. My suggestion would be a straightened-out piece of .025 Stainless MIG wire as filler.

And when you start the polishing process, you need to remember that everything you do is making that stainless even thinner. Get too thin, and it will get to a point where you can't do anything with it.

48builder

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I don't believe that trim is stainless. It's chrome plated die cast.

Shoot. You are probably right. I didn't consider that. Now, I don't know if that makes what I want to do easier or harder. I have some of that "Miracle welding rod" or whatever it's called. Maybe I can fill with that and then get it rechromed.

Thanks for the info.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Thanks, Sean. I think Charlie is right though that is is chromed pot metal. I'll figure somethign out. At least I now know how to weld thin stainless. I might need that on some of the side-body trim. I'm pretty sure that is stainless.
'39 Chevy driver