electronic speedometers

Started by autocol, March 25, 2004, 07:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autocol

stupid question coming up!

how do electronic speedometers work? do they just accept a pulse from the box or do different senders require different speedo units?

basically, i have a toyota supra gearbox in my ute, which was originally part of a conversion that included a mechanical speedo drive out of the usually electronic spot. then i blew that gearbox up, fitted another one in a rush, and haven't had a working speedo since (because the new box wasn't modified for the mechanical drive).

now i want to whack a new set of guages in, and figure i might as well convert to an electronic speedo... any complications ahead for me?

paul2748

From what I remember when I installed an electric speedo on my flathead T, there are two types of electronic speedo.  One has a pulse system, the other I can't remember what they called it.  I've used VDO in two cars, my son's 302 powered model A and the T.  Very easy to hook up as long as you have directions.  I don't know about interchangeability between the two types, but I think the VDO speedo could run on both types - the wiring was a little different.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "autocol"how do electronic speedometers work? do they just accept a pulse from the box or do different senders require different speedo units?

Basically the answer to that question is in answered by your next statement. There are a couple of different pulse ratios. The most common are 4 & 8 pulses per revolution. GM USA on some cars acually used a speedo that took 8 pulses and a cruise setup that only needed 4 pulses. They used on pulse generator and placed a signal splitter on the line with a 8 pulse and 2-4 pulse outputs.

If you can find out what you trans signal generator outputs and match the gauge to you you should have no problems other than running wires to it.

autocol

unklian

Nothing is easy anymore.

How about an electric speedo with a pre-electric transmission?

enjenjo

You can buy signal generators the replace the speedo cable.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.