Prep for powder coating

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 12, 2006, 06:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

As I understand it , the parts must be clean , blasted?

The blasting media is usually an abrasive that does not leave little bits in the metal?

Is there a preferred blasting media for metal that will be powder coated? Low dust , fine grit?

I am thinking of getting a  powder coat setup and start in on some Crosley suspension parts.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I blast with Black Beauty if I'm paying for it, aluminum oxide if it's free. not much dust with either.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

For brake backing plates and similar items I also use Black Beauty.  About $10 a bag here.  

For smaller items I glass bead.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

EMSjunkie

I used glass beads on my stuff.
the powder coating dude said it would be fine.
they run their parts thru some kinda wash and preheat before coating.

just my experience.  :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Jbird

I use glass bead if I want a real fine finish. Sometimes it getsa little dusty if you're blasting rusty parts. I usually wash the parts with Simple Green and a brush or scotch brite, rinse really good then dry right away with compressed air and heat.  Be careful when you start powder coating, some people lose control.

When I do any powder coating I always end up with a layer of overspray powder on my powder coating table. I don't want to throw it away and I'm afraid of contamination if I mix it back with the new powder. So I use a new clean paint brush and sweep the overspray into some extra powder cups. I don't try too hard to segregate the colors so I end up with some real interesting mixtures. My new old truck has six or eight different colors baked onto various components. The cool thing is, every time I do a powder coating job one of my special colors gets enhanced.
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

donnie g

i usually wipe the part down with solvent then dry it in the oven @380#
or so to get rid of any trace oils etc in the pores of the metal,and apply the coating with the metal a least at 150 degrees!