Fuel Pump Location ?

Started by seadog, March 20, 2006, 09:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I was just noticing 34Fords post about his chassis and saw that his fuel pump is mounted on the frame rail between the tank and the fuel filter. (photo attached)

Dose it make a difference which comes first, the filter or the pump?  I just finsished running my fuel line and put the filter between the tank and the pump, the fuel would go throught the filter and then to the pump.  Did I screw up?  * there's a lot to learn about this stuff)

rumrumm

You are correct. The filter should come before the pump so debris will not ruin your pump. It looks like Bob has his set up that way.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

34ford

The larger canister to the right in the picture is the filter. The pump is on the left. The tank is not in yet and will be to the right in the picture. You want clean gas going into the pump so the filter should be 1st in line from the tank.

bob

seadog

...the filter should be 1st in line from the tank.
bob[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up.  The filter in your photo looked a lot like my fuel pump.  On second glance I can see that it's not a fuel pump.

seadog

...the filter should be 1st in line from the tank.
bob[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up.  The filter in your photo looked a lot like my fuel pump.  On second glance I can see that it's not a fuel pump.

EMSjunkie

I put a filter before the pump, and after the pump, but before the carb.
just in case.

I know it maybe overkill, but in my profession, we try to lean toward
prevention, rather than intervention.   :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rex Schimmer

Just remember that pumps don't like to suck so if you put the filter first make sure it is big and not very fine, then put the fine filter after the pump. Always make sure that the pump is below the tank if possible this gives some extra "head" to help the pump overcome the resistance of the filter. And if you have a small filter that has "low resistance" to flow you just as well not use it as it will be to coarse to do any good.

Rex