hey cros, l.m.s. tranny question....

Started by tomslik, March 19, 2006, 09:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

bought a 2000 chevy pu a couple of weeks ago and it's got this "tow/haul" button on it.
i've read the owners * uncommon for me) and they say WHEN to us it but obviously not WHAT it does.
what's it do,specificly?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat rat

changes the shift points to a higher rpm to avoid lugging and keep it in the power band longer. Also out of OD longer
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

tow/haul mode raises :

shift points  ,

main line pressure a bit ,

reduces torque management cut backs,

Keeps the trans out of over drive when the torque load indicates ..... which reduces "gear hunting".

Torque management cuts engine timing , tranny main line pressure to save the tranny.

In the 1999 - 2001 years of this tranny GM modified the process of how the drive shell is formed. There was a problem in earlier years  with the drive shell splined area breaking off the main shell.  GM did something that softened the area in 1999.  THEN the splines simply spun out instead of the piece breaking away.

If your shell breaks , I suggest a shell that is called "the beast"  ...... this is the only aftermarket  part of any 4L60 I have not seen broken,

yet

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"tow/haul mode raises :

shift points  ,

main line pressure a bit ,

reduces torque management cut backs,

Keeps the trans out of over drive when the torque load indicates ..... which reduces "gear hunting".

Torque management cuts engine timing , tranny main line pressure to save the tranny.

In the 1999 - 2001 years of this tranny GM modified the process of how the drive shell is formed. There was a problem in earlier years  with the drive shell splined area breaking off the main shell.  GM did something that softened the area in 1999.  THEN the splines simply spun out instead of the piece breaking away.

If your shell breaks , I suggest a shell that is called "the beast"  ...... this is the only aftermarket  part of any 4L60 I have not seen broken,

yet

8)

well, this truck hasn't hada hitch on it 'till now and i don't tow all that much.
you think i'll see problems?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

well, this truck hasn't hada hitch on it 'till now and i don't tow all that much.

hold it closer to the computer...... :shock:

my 2000 silverado ran fine for the 73k miles I had it and I tow'd a loaded car trailer often.

oh wait, I took the tranny out at 28k miles and installed many different (beefier) parts.

You will be fine , drive it like ya stole it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"

hold it closer to the computer...... :shock:

i parked on top of it, that close enough?

my 2000 silverado ran fine for the 73k miles I had it and I tow'd a loaded car trailer often.

oh wait, I took the tranny out at 28k miles and installed many different (beefier) parts.

You will be fine , drive it like ya stole it.

oh, so take it easy then?
i hammer on my own stuff....;)

just wondering what the tow/haul stuff did(internally)....