Finally Started My 1935 Ford PU!!!! :D

Started by Dirk35, March 15, 2006, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pep

Well done...I remember when you were still at the ponderin stage.....Even with your deployment taking you away from the rod, you still done a good job in a short time.

As far as the oil pressure...yeah, be carefull. I recall its a Windsor. As mentioned, either use a drill and a make shift drive ( probably from an old dizzy). and make sure you can manually crank the oil pump. I personally use a speed wrench so I can feel the pressure against me. Remember it rotates anticlockwise..In your attempts to get the timing sorted out, you may have inadvertantly slipped the hex drive shaft out of the oil pump.
See Ya
Pep

DRD57

If you have a Fram oil filter on it, chuck it and replace it with a WIX. That might improve the oil pressure situation.

moparrodder

This is just a thought but a friend put an aftermarket pan on his motor and the pickup tube was too close to the bottom of the pan and when he started it up it sucked to the bottom of the pan and he had slow oil pressure. He droped the pan and bent the tube up a little so it cleared the bottom of the pan better and he was good to go with good pressure.  As I said this is just a thought and something else to check.. Good luck and keep us posted, your truck is lookin mighty fine!!!   Bill

EMSjunkie

Congrats Bro!!!

only one other "first time" came close for me the first time I fired my coupe. 8)

I had the same problem with my motor, turned out to be I got a little carried away with the teflon thread tape when I put the sending unit in.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

ya can't cover that little hole at the bottom of the sending unit.  :(D)

had great oil pressure at first, then it slowly started getting lower and lower  :?  no lifter rattle, no valve train noise, had good pressure when I ran the valves,  :?  finally decided the sending unit was bad.  :x

pulled it out, dug the teflon tape out of it, screwed it back in,  8)  8)

got great oil pressure now.  :oops:

good thing stupidity isn't painful.  :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dirk35

Well, the work sent me away to Texas early monday morning, but now I am back.

Rewind back to Friday night:

I havent had it running for more than 20 seconds tops...hence no idea about oil pressure.

Re-wired the ignition wire in neatly with solder and heat shrink.

Gapped each plug (couldnt get two of them out) Ill have to pull the header and grind a little off the flange on the driver side. All the plugs were pretty close to 0.44 so I didnt worry about the two I cannot get to for now.

I figureed out that Dewalt makes a drill bit quick connect extension, that when you diss-assemble the thingy that holds the ball at the bottom to hold the bit in, it works perfectly and is flexible too!

Let me go on to say that I havent read this since I last posted to it.............

Pulled the Distributor out. Put Dewalt extension on the shaft and started spining away. Turned the key on, no pressure! Hmmmmmm, Ran the battery on my cordless to almost dead.  Duh........... the rotor doesnt spin that way, put it in reverse, pulls up pressure in no time flat! Battery was low by then, so I switched to corded drill. (If I would have read this, I wouldnt even had to think about it since PEP already knew what I was about to cross).

OK, it is bogging down the drill, I pulled the valve cover filler on each side and spun it till I seen the oil come up through the tops of the rocker arms. Key on, pressure looks great, right about 50lbs. I spun it till I seen pools of oil on the heads through the oil fill holes in the valve covers.

Distributor back on. VROOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Started right up! Wow, no having to prime it over and over, no manual choking it, no pumping the pedal, it just started right up! Still sounds "tight" but not all squeaky like the 1st 10 or so seconds It actually started up the other night.

I ran it a full 20 minutes! Oil pressure pulled up to about 45+. Idles around 1400-1800rpm Settled around 1500 but its not adjusted at all yet),  and I revved it a few times to spin the lifters. The fan kicked on when the gauge said 200 degrees and stayed on, and the truck stayed right around 200. AMP Gauge read about 15-16.

Oil=GOOD!
TEMP= GOOD (so far, summer still not here yet)
Electric fan=GOOD
AMPS=GOOD
TACH=GOOD

WOW, I mustve done something wrong, cause nothing I ever do works right the 1st time! I just followed the directions, and other one little wire, everything seems to be in workign order on the engine and ignition!

I still have a brake light problem and a brake pressure problem, but that, Ill cross later.

I still got a little bit of leaking around the water pump, but other than that and its increddibly loudness (no exhaust yet).......... All is well in the Dirk Garage!

Thank you all gain for the kind words!

Staurday, I ran it through the gears, they actually seem to work.

Now, I want to get my brakes to where I am more comfortable with them before I pull it off the jack stands and actually let it move under its own power.

Dirk35

Ok, Im a genious (that is sarcism). I was thinking about it being kinda squeaky and whiny sounding engine.

I put a Gear-Drive in it. :D

enjenjo

It's a long and winding road Dirk. How long ago was I there? about 18 months isn't it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dirk35

:)

I think that when you stopped by, I had yet to have taken it ALL back apart and cut the front suspension out to move it back the 1 1/2 inch. :)

So, it probably looks identical to when you seen it, well other than the parts actually fit on it now. :)