Just one more brake type question!!

Started by midnight sun, October 04, 2007, 12:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Getting ready to finish off the brake lines one my wifes 47 Ford.  I started looking at a few old articles/pictures etc. Some of them show the residual  valve (1o lb. to the rear) being placed before the adjustable proportional valve and an equal number show the residual valve plumbed after the proportional valve.

Any thoughts on which is correct or does it really matter?

Enquiring minds want to know.

TIA
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

kb426

If you believe Inlinetube.com to be knowledgeable, they recommend all res. check valves to be installed as close to the master cylinder as possible.
TEAM SMART

donsrods

The only time I have used residual valves is when the master cylinder is lower than the wheel cylinders.  My new T has them because it is so low, but my '27 never did and it worked fine for many years.

Reason I bring this up is because your '46 should have the m/c pretty high compared to the wheel cylinders.

Don

enjenjo

I install the residual valves as close to the master cylinder as possible. then any other valves after them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "donsrods"The only time I have used residual valves is when the master cylinder is lower than the wheel cylinders.  My new T has them because it is so low, but my '27 never did and it worked fine for many years.

Reason I bring this up is because your '46 should have the m/c pretty high compared to the wheel cylinders.

Don

Not if it is mounted under the floor. We have built a few 47-48 Fords with the master under the floor and when you do it actually sticks down below the frame an inch or two.

Dave

If the M/C is high enuff before you buy residual valves be sure to check beacuse a lot of master cylinders have em in the ports. Take a tube for a spray can like the ones that come on a lot of brake cleaners or contact cleaner or carb cleaner and stick it the port you will feel it hit the rubber check if its in there.  Could save you a couple bucks.
Dave

paul5456

What kind of front brakes and master cylinder are you using.  If you are using a stock master and have drum brakes all around, you don't need a residual valve because the master already has one.

If you are running discs in the front, make sure the master you are using does not have a residual valve and it is for drum/disc brakes..  Then you need the residual valve for both front and backs with the frame mounted master.

As others have stated, the residual valves should go nearest the master as possible.