Fresh Rodder

Started by Anonymous, April 16, 2004, 04:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I'm a soon to be graduate from WyoTech.  I took the Chassis Fabrication and Street Rod courses and did well.  I am currently seeking employment in the Street Rod and Custom industry and was curious if anyone could give me some tips or leads on any avaiable positions anywhere.  Thanks for any help that can be provided.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "newtoroddin"I'm a soon to be graduate from WyoTech.  I took the Chassis Fabrication and Street Rod courses and did well.  I am currently seeking employment in the Street Rod and Custom industry and was curious if anyone could give me some tips or leads on any avaiable positions anywhere.  Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Have Brick send me an email stating whether your a stand up guy, got to your classes on time, did your assigments, kept your nose clean, respected the teachers, etc and then I'll give you my address and you can send me your resume.  I'll then pass it on to a couple of rod/kustom shop owners that I know.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

moparrodder

Quote from: "newtoroddin"I'm a soon to be graduate from WyoTech.  I took the Chassis Fabrication and Street Rod courses and did well.  I am currently seeking employment in the Street Rod and Custom industry and was curious if anyone could give me some tips or leads on any avaiable positions anywhere.  Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Which one did ya go to , the one in Wyoming or the one out east?  If ya went to the one in Laramie, my son went there and was wondering if Gordy was still in the streetrod section. when Chad was there Gordy was finishing a 47 club coupe with a pretty cool flaty mill and some wild stitching in the interior, he was one of the instructors.  They sure do some really cool stuff there!  Bill 8)

Phat

Your best bet is to start bulding on your own(even if it small jobs like rewiring) and take a job in the automotive field.  Also would not be a bad idea to give a little free labor to one of your local short track teams you get known real quick if you understand chassis,wiring ,welding and fab work.  Too many guys out there fresh out of school that nobody will take a chance on and that is a shame.(i blame that on all the new hot rod schools popping up..they could not make it with diesel repair/truck driver so they added what TV shows liked)  Your going to have to prove yourself and they will be knocking your door down.   I would hire a young guy such as yourself in a heartbeat if i could see your work. It dont pay all that well and you have to love what your doing.  I get at least 1 young guy a week that really likes rods but most never work out as they have not worked in other forms of the automotive industry. Good Luck and just keep the dream but dont forget you have to eat! :lol:   Another thought.......most good rod shops probaly are not going to be reading BB's on the web.  Get out there and pound the pavement!!!!
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

Anonymous

For Bill:
Gordy's still here.  I had a look at that '47, it was in the trim building.  That is one sweet ride!

Anonymous

Phat, thanks for the advice.  I have already started on building my own street rod, a '23 T-bucket.  I'm doing all the work myself including paint and interior.  I have already finished the custom 4-link front and rear.  It'll be done in about 2.5 months.  I'll post some pictures so everyone can see what a fresh-outta-school rodder can do.  Thanks again.

OFOF

I have seen several ads for help wanted by Posies (Ken Fenical) I don't know what experience or education they are looking for.  You may also want to go to every rod shop web site and check for employment opportunities.  Most shops advertise in one or more of the major rod magazines and most list a web site.
Good luck!!
Don.
Don Palfreyman

Bib_Overalls

Were do you want to work?  North?  South? East? West?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Anonymous

I'm very flexible on location.  Just not California, Florida, or anywhere North.  I've lived the cold life for too long so it's time I move on to warmer climates.

Anonymous

I'd like to thank everybody who is responding to my posting.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Heck...I've got enough projects in the shop to keep you busy for a couple of years...and...you can live in my lower level! :P The rent is cheap,The foods not too bad... but... the wages suck :lol: Seriously....I wish you lots of luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"