I figure you people are smarter than what I need.

Started by GPster, February 26, 2006, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Anyone able to hazard a guess as to how interchangeable an old ('51, '52, '53) Chevrolet cast iron powerglide might be? I have a chance to drive and rescue one from a '51 to save for "bits-n-pieces" or a total change out for my '53 if needed. The guy has put no value on this thing and if it's the same value to me than it can sit and rest. Also, on a further note, it's got an engine hanging off the front on it. He thinks it's a 216 but my recallection was that they only used the early powerglides on 235s. Might be some rods in it. GPster

enjenjo

According to Hollander Powerglides interchange as a unit to 54. There are a couple internal differences.

I got some rods, so I'm good to go there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

the big difference  is the closed or open drive line design on them.

in 57 (i think) a vacuum modulator was added to the cast iron glide
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"the big difference  is the closed or open drive line design on them.
That was where my concern was, I am planing this freebe for a spare incase this submerged one doesn't come out of it. My project has the closed driveshaft and the simplicity of my intents will never stand a transmission and a rear end upgrade. I want to get this thing moving under it's own power (maybe I'll call it STLLJNK) and get back to my namesake (Jeepster). GPster

parklane

If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

GPster

Quote from: "parklane"Aren't they both a closed shaft??
That '51 and my '53 are. That's why I'm interested in it. GPster