Need ideas

Started by kb426, February 24, 2006, 05:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'm still in the planning stages for the 37 pickup. I 'm thinking of building the frame from scratch. I have access to a Cougar independent rear. What could I use for a front that doesn't look out of place but handles like a modern car?
TEAM SMART

donsrods

What style are you going for?  Will it be fendered or not?

Don

kb426

No fenders.Probably channel the cab 4" or so.
TEAM SMART

GPster

One thing struck me but I don't know of the possibilities, S10 or Blazer II indepenant torsion bar front suspension. One of the things that I think looks out-of-place with an independant front suspension is the "hat" for the coil springs but the glimps I got of one of these suspensions it was designed like the early Chrysler Products with longitudinal torsion bars. I imagine if you left out the axels and the carrier that it would be fairly clean and not jumbled up like the newer Chrysler cross torsion bars.I could be "all wet" and may have missed something, the first thing being that they use negative off-set wheels and wheel face to wheel face of the discs may be too wide for a good look. GPster

enjenjo

I would look at mid 80's Toyota pickup front suspension. It uses torsion bars, it's simple, light, and strong. It has a 4 1/2" bolt pattern, disc brakes, and a compact steering box.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

On the Toyota pickup, what is involved in conversion?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Simplest thing would be to use the whole front of the Toyota frame
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.