Is this a bad idea?

Started by jaybee, March 22, 2004, 09:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

First of all, I'm not trying to prove that I'm smarter than my wife.  I've tried that too many times to avoid the realization that she's extremely lucky and somehow manages to look smarter.   :oops:   In reality she has excellent instincts and I've learned over time to trust them.

So back to a topic I asked about some time back.  I haven't been in the garage for months but am finally doing some work out there again.  Too much time and energy spent on job search, I suppose.  I still have a pair of 100" Propane cylinders.  Am I crazy to consider using them for air cylinders?  I've already flushed one of them with water which should clear all the gas.  They even talked about that on Junkyard Wars recently and they cut into these things all the time.  My wife is dead set against using them for air.  She's concerned about my safety which beats trying to collect on my life insurance.  I suppose it could have a weak spot and explode.  Maybe they could be pressure tested to make sure they're safe?  A new, 60gal tank would cost about $250 and I'd rather put that money toward something else, like a welder.  These tanks are about 35gal each so 2 would be just about right.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Jimc

Quote from: "jaybee"First of all, I'm not trying to prove that I'm smarter than my wife.  I've tried that too many times to avoid the realization that she's extremely lucky and somehow manages to look smarter.   :oops:   In reality she has excellent instincts and I've learned over time to trust them.

So back to a topic I asked about some time back.  I haven't been in the garage for months but am finally doing some work out there again.  Too much time and energy spent on job search, I suppose.  I still have a pair of 100" Propane cylinders.  Am I crazy to consider using them for air cylinders?  I've already flushed one of them with water which should clear all the gas.  They even talked about that on Junkyard Wars recently and they cut into these things all the time.  My wife is dead set against using them for air.  She's concerned about my safety which beats trying to collect on my life insurance.  I suppose it could have a weak spot and explode.  Maybe they could be pressure tested to make sure they're safe?  A new, 60gal tank would cost about $250 and I'd rather put that money toward something else, like a welder.  These tanks are about 35gal each so 2 would be just about right.

I recently took an out of date argon cyl in for a refill.
I was charged 40 bucks for a pressure test, handed an in date refilled bottle, went on my wy.
The welding supply house said that pressure testing empty bottles involved placing them in a hole and applying pressure.
The hole is to retain the shrapnel, should a bottle explode.
Or so went the story.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

moparrodder

John,  as long as you purge and flush them you can use them for air.  We have used them for years on the farm as portable airtanks and I know of a few guys that use them in their shop for extra volume in their air systems.  I wouldn't be afraid to use them, the ones we have used for twenty years have been no problem, so I'd say go for it.  Bill

Fat Cat

You could also look into an air tank off a semi truck. I have one out in the back shop at enjenjo's and it works well enough that I can run a DA, and impact, and a straight board off it.

Dirk35

Quote from: "Jimc"

I recently took an out of date argon cyl in for a refill.
I was charged 40 bucks for a pressure test, handed an in date refilled bottle, went on my wy.
The welding supply house said that pressure testing empty bottles involved placing them in a hole and applying pressure.
The hole is to retain the shrapnel, should a bottle explode.
Or so went the story.

Jim

FWIW, our Nitrogen tanks for paintball have to be pressure tested yearly (I think it yearly) and cost us an extra $50 to have them certified. The shops wont fill them up for us with out a Certification sticker that in date. Ive never had to mess with it as my gun is CO2. But my buddy hasnt used one of his guns for almost two years due to it.

The CO2 tanks however are not a problem.

Dirk35

Oh yeah. I do know that our Methampataeaine (or however you spell it) training covered them using BBQ gas grille propane bottles for the gas they use to make it. Apparently, the chemical they put in them eats away at the thin tanks and its common for them to blow up. But thats some sorta chemical, not air. I personally have seen more than one of the same small propane tanks converted into a air tank here in redneck wonderland.