Which automatic shifter to use?

Started by davee, February 19, 2006, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davee

Hi , I have a 30 Model A coupe with a flat steel floor. There is no room for a column shifter, also I have only about a 1/2" to 3/4" clearance from the trans to the floor. What kind of shifters do you guys use? Cable or rod? Hurst, Lokar , B+M or others? Tail mounted or floor mounted? Thanks Dave!

hemmigremmie

I have a powerglide and I use a cable type Hurst auto ratchet shifter. If your limited on room and dont get any advice, Id call B&M or Hurst to see what they have for confined spaces. HG

rumrumm

I had a B&M QuickSilver in my roadster and liked it a lot. It uses a cable so you can mount the shifter anywhere with only a small hole in the floor. I would have used it again in my '32 but it would not work with my console configuration.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

GPster

Was at a Swap Meet testerday and noticed a cable type shifter that was supposedly out of a chevel. Actually there were two there, one with the console and one that was just the shifter and handle. The mechanism that bolts to the floor is probably only about 5" wide and maybe 7" long and put the "T" handle about 8" high The factory cable snaps in place in the front and the factory electric (shifter indicater light, neutral safety switch and back-up light switch) plugs neatly in the front too. I would imagine it would be fairly easy to make a console to fit the crowded floor space around pedals and seats in an "A" and the factory cable would let you place it where it needed to be. GPster

Roadstar

A Gennie Shifter should work fine.