High pressure fuel lines on PU

Started by 58 Yeoman, February 11, 2006, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

My GF bought a 90 GMC PU, and the fuel lines are leaking from the tank.  The truck is pretty rusty underneath.  I've got the tank dropped far enough to see the top, and of course, the sending unit pipes are rusty also.  Autozone says that they have a high pressure rubber fuel line that can be clamped onto a good section of steel pipe.  The steel pipe going to the filter is good.  The fuel return line is rusty ahead of the union that is right in front of the fuel filter.   Has anyone used this high pressure rubber hose, connecting onto the steel line, with good results?

Looks to me like gm made the fuel line, in effect, one piece from the tank to the engine.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rooster

Where is it leaking? On the inside or outside. Theres not much room for hoses inside or outside. This happened to son s10 resently and we went to junk yard and got a different one not rusted up. $15 complete!

58 Yeoman

I got the tank down, and the return line is rusted right at the rubber hose connection, on the tank side.  The fitting is rusted off, so I'm going to try the rubber hose bit, as the return shouldn't have as much pressure?  I'll flare the good part of the metal line.  Wish me luck.

Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I got the tank down, and the return line is rusted right at the rubber hose connection, on the tank side.  The fitting is rusted off, so I'm going to try the rubber hose bit, as the return shouldn't have as much pressure?  I'll flare the good part of the metal line.  Wish me luck.

just double clamp tha hi press hose...
at max of about 40 psi, it shouldn't give ya much trouble.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

58 Yeoman

Denny, I called the only local salvage yard; no go.  Tom, thanks for the input.  I double clamped both ends, and it's holding without leaks.  The hi-pressure fuel line isn't cheap; $5/foot. :shock:

Thanks guys.

Phil