hydraulic clutch

Started by mrloboy, February 06, 2006, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I recently built an '84 S10 pickup for my daughter Jessica. It has a SBC and a T5 transmission. Everything worked out right with a small glitch regarding the clutch linkage. I used a typical T5 from a later S10. On the engine I used an early Chevy flywheel, pressure plate and bell housing. I used a 2.8 litre S10 clutch disc ( apparently a disc from aa Astro fan will fit with a slightly larger diameter). I had to shorten the T5 input shaft by 1/2" to coincide with the early GM specs as well as shorten the input yoke by 1-3/8". This duplicated the measurements of the Saginaw standard transmission. From Speedway I purchased a "Howe" hydraulic release bearing for a saginaw design. After modifying the mounting to accommodate the T5 metric transmission all seemed to be great. We bled the system and the performance was fantastic! two weeks later, Jess called and informed me she had no clutch! Not good! Today, I spent a few hours trying to bleed the system. I knew that mechanically all was good, but purging the air was frustrating. Typical bleeding procedure were inadequate.In the end I took a short piece of clear hose (from a standard master cylinder bleed kit) I pushed it over the end of the bleeder screw and at the opposite end I attached a 60cc ag/medical syringe. After an hour or so of sucking and purging the system from the lower end (with the bleeder open), I finally purged the air from the system. I really wanted to build the ride with an automatic, but my dear daughter is a gear rower at heart and one should not discourage that early "hot-rod" mentality!

EMSjunkie

I had the same problem with my wifes S-10.  :x

SBC with a stock S-10 tranny. using an Astro clutch and flywheel.

I finally had to let it "gravity" bleed for about 3 hrs.

her S-10 is 4WD, not alot of room in the engine compartment
or under the crossmember. but it is alot of fun taking it to the
local AutoZone and asking the counter boy for parts.  8)

had one argue with me, said you couln't put a small block
in an S-10, let alone one with 4WD. cost him $10

old age and trechery will always overcome youth and skill.   :evil:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

mrloboy

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I had the same problem with my wifes S-10.  :x

SBC with a stock S-10 tranny. using an Astro clutch and flywheel.

I finally had to let it "gravity" bleed for about 3 hrs.

her S-10 is 4WD, not alot of room in the engine compartment
or under the crossmember. but it is alot of fun taking it to the
local AutoZone and asking the counter boy for parts.  8)

had one argue with me, said you couln't put a small block
in an S-10, let alone one with 4WD. cost him $10

old age and trechery will always overcome youth and skill.   :evil:

Vance

mrloboy

[You mentioned the "counter boy" A few years ago there was an editorial (I belive in Street Rodder) regarding dealing with parts boys or parts men. well written and quite true!

I tried the gravity bleed thing for awhile, but resulted were non-exsistant. I was real close to a 700R4 swap, but my little pricess likes slamming gears! I told her that it was rapidly becoming her problem! :)

EMSjunkie

Women are funny critters.  :roll:

The Mrs. wants me to put a auto in her S-10.
if this manual one heads south again, I just might.  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rick....Be thankful she doesn't want to drive a pink Corvette or Honda Civic :P  Having met Jess....I don't think you have to worry about that though! Are you still shoveling snow up there in the Great White North??
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Ralph

Hi Rick
I was just thinking that you hadn't posted in a while, and now here you are!  :-o Post some more shop photos. I want to know how the 60 Buick is, and anything else you've got going on too!
Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

flt-blk

Make sure the hydraulics did not go too far.  If you don't have a positive
stop on the clutch pedal you can overstroke the T/O and blow it off the
slave..  

Then you have to remove it all....put it back together....start all over
again.

I think someone on here did this on their truck a couple times so I
learned their lesson.  Maybe WZ JUNK??
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

enjenjo

Several years ago we changed a clutch on a Ford Ranger, we had to disconnect the slave cylinder to get the trans out.  We bled that clutch for two days without any results. We finally discovered there was a rubber boot in the reservoir that kept the air away from the fluid. we had left that in the reservoir,and filled it with fluid. No wonder it wouldn't bleed! Fixed that, and it was done in 5 minutes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

Howe recommends the use of a 3/4" bore master cylinder. The stock S10 master is only 11/16", reducing the output potential by 9% (based on an equal stroke length). I would love the extra output as the stroke on the release bearing as it is adequate, but with no comfort zone. Shifting the transmission into reverse, especially when cold, is tricky considering the T5 has no syncros in reverse. I also believe that the minimal stroke has caused insufient stoke to effectively remove the air from the system making the vaccuum bleed necessary (and hopefully reliable!)