Battery Cut-off Question ??

Started by 40, February 05, 2006, 03:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am in the process of adding a battery cut-off to a couple of my cars....Any advantage to installing it on either the positive or negative posts??I would assume it makes no difference??
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "40"I am in the process of adding a battery cut-off to a couple of my cars....Any advantage to installing it on either the positive or negative posts??I would assume it makes no difference??

We have talked about this some.  I have done it both ways.  The general feeling is that it is best in the positive side.   Make sure that all power goes through the switch as no so funny things can happen if something pulls a large load around the switch.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "40"I am in the process of adding a battery cut-off to a couple of my cars....Any advantage to installing it on either the positive or negative posts??I would assume it makes no difference??

I have a key switched one in my cab for extra theft protection and it is on the positive side.  It is on the lower left of the picture with my other switches between the seat.  I have multiple grounds to the frame, body and motor.

I do run a circuit around it to the radio to keep the presets on it active.

My relay for the starter is also there.  That came in handy once when my column ignition switch quit working.  I could jump the relay off of the hot cut-off switch from the driver seat to start the car until I got home (I was at b'ville when it happened).

c ya, Sum

moparrodder

Daryle,  Chad's t bucket has one in the positive side and we have them in all of our tender trucks at work cause the boss doesn't want to take the time to figure what is the power drain and they all are on the positive side and work with no problems, but we have one in a 6x6 military truck at the firestation we use as a tanker and that one is on the negative side but that is a 24 volt system but it works the same with no problems.     Bill

mrloboy

Daryle, As Sum mentioned, you will need to run a constant power line for such things as radios and clocks, therefore wiring the cut-off on the positive side simplifies things. Rick