8.8 FORD REAR AXLE BEARINGS

Started by donsrods, February 05, 2006, 11:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donsrods

I've never worked on an 8.8 Ford rear axle before, and my one Son is setting one up for the Capri he is building. The two bearings on the ends of the axle don't seat all the way into the housing. They protrude about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. We didn't build this rear, it was already set up with 3:73's etc. We only pulled the axles to have race studs pressed in.

My question: Are these axle bearings supposed to protrude like that, or are they just not pressed in all the way?  I put my fingers befind the bearing, and it feels like there is room for the bearing to slide in further, but I didn't want to just arbitrarily tap it in flush if it wasn't supposed to be that way. It is confusing me, because both bearings have exactly the same amount sticking out, so it looks like it should be that way.

Thanks, Don

EMSjunkie

I got one at the house, sitting on stands.
I'll look tonight and let you know.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

donsrods

junkyardjeff

Someone might have installed those axle saver bearings,if you are not famailar with them they move the rollers out some from where they usually run on the axle and they stick out some.  If thats the case the axles could be worn a bit so you should pull apart and check.  Jeff

EMSjunkie

Sorry Don, it was really late when I finally got home last night, didn't get a chance to look at my bearing.  :oops:

I'll look tonight and let you know.  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****