Tony auto re-build question....

Started by 1FATGMC, January 28, 2006, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I have over 120,000 miles on the 700R4 in my pickup and it was re-built about 80,000 miles ago.  I have no idea how many miles were on it before I got it.  It is an '87.  

At the moment it is acting fine and normal, but I hope in a year from now, after I get the lakester done, to build probably a 383 and I would like to mildly tubo it for around 500 hp max..  I think that would be a good time to either look for another "built" 700R4 or have this one re-built.  My question is do you ever get to the point where you can't keep rebuilding one of these?  I would imagine that some of the hard parts must get worn out also and might need to be replaced.  Some might need to anyway for 500 HP.  If the case is good can you keep rebuilding these?

I don't know whether to look for a new (used rebuilt) one and use the current one in something else or if it is good to go I would like to have it rebuilt and upgraded to better parts.

What would you do?  I want to stay with a 700R4.

Thanks,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

you replace worn out parts and reuse the good stuff.

a turbo'd 383 will over work the tranny if you are hard on it...... read that as parts breakage.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

did I answer enough of the question ?  or no?
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"did I answer enough of the question ?  or no?

Yes, no, maybe, probably :wink: .

Sounds like if the rebuild guy knows what he is doing it is re-buildable even though it is getting a lot of miles on it, but it might need more than a re-build kit.  Am I right so far :? .

No about the 500 hp, sounds like you wouldn't recommend it.  I know some of those guys on the Chevy Talk Performance board are running in the 12's with 700R4's, but don't know how long they are lasting that way.  You also see a lot more big blocks in front of them.  I'll probably be willing to spend about $2000 at that point to try and get good parts for it.  I don't want to give up the overdrive and I'm not crazy about the added weight of the 80LE and the computer you need to run it (all expensive).

I'm only talking 5-6 lbs. of boost on a low hp torque motor.  I want the power for passing with the teardrop and I'd sure like to run over 150 someday at b'ville with the truck.  I imagine just a few passes at the drag strip.  I'm actually pretty easy on my stuff.

I figure that with a little higher gearing than I have now and with EFI and the turbo I can still get good gas mileage with the 700, yet have HP there when I need it.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

I can post photos of a recent splattered 4L60E parts from a 2005 Caddy SUV with a super charger on a 6.0 LS-1 motor.

output shaft , ring gear , 5 pinion planetary unit.......

:lol:
Tony