Suede paint finish

Started by sal37, January 18, 2006, 08:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sal37

I posted on the OZ E Rodders site but thought that I would try the brains trust on RRT.  
I want a suede paint finish on my car (with a possibly white gloss firewall).  I was thinking of using 2pack undercoat, which I think is waterproof.  Does anyone have any experience with using 2pack undercoat as a final paint finish or am I better off putting "flattener" in some shiney stuff??  
I want to use undercoat to minimise my costs (I want to get the thing on the street and look good but am not too worried about the final finish) as I may use a shiney (maybe) topcoat in the future.
Any comments greatly appreciated.

Steve

Ohio Blue Tip

For the suede look on my 34 I used PPG flat black lacquer.  The color was used in the 60's for stripes on mopar's.  Lacquer may be hard to get now but  should be able to get it mixed in other paints.
Epoxy primer blocked out on the car first, then a couple of thin coats of paint.  Later the black can be sanded as a guide coat for finish paints. Car looks good as primer should.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Rolf

Go to the hardware store, and look at interior colors. They are mostly flat, which makes it easy to eyeball them, and you can get color chips to take home.

Once you find a color you like, have your automotive paint store match and custom mix it for you. Then cover it with PPG Flex n Flat, and it will be flat but UV protected, unlike primer.

Hope that helps...

Here is my car in Flex n Flat:

enjenjo

2 pack undercoat doesn't offer any UV protection in most cases, because it's not designed to be exposed to the sun. So if it won't see much sun it will last several years, otherwise, it will start chalking in a year or so. PPG offers several flattened colors here in the US for use as topcoats. SEMS also has a satin black laquer available in gallons. For colors, you can use PPG K36 primer tinted with Concept colors for several Pastel shades. The tinting colors add some UV protection. There are also some UV safe flat clears that you could look into.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

They have John Deere tractors in Oz, don't they? Find a dealer and get a gallon of John Deere Blitz Black. It is about $20.00/gal. US. It  is a flat black enamel, and you can put hardener with it if you like. It makes touch-ups very easy and you can wax it if you want that semi-gloss look.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

sirstude

Some of the guys here have been playing with Dupont's Hot Hues, hot rod black.  It is sold a flat, but is pretty shiney.  The have been mixing it with 50% flatener and it seems be a pretty nice color,  Just  about the same gloss as DP90, but it is UV protected.  If you don't mind painting every couple/three years, just use PPG DP90, it just grays out after a while.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sal37

Thanks for the info guys.  The flat clear might be the best option but I was wondering if the clear brakes down faster than top coat or goes milky - does anyone have experience with this???

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "sal37"Thanks for the info guys.  The flat clear might be the best option but I was wondering if the clear brakes down faster than top coat or goes milky - does anyone have experience with this???

most modern cars are clear coated.  

adding the flattening agent does not hurt the UV protection of the clear  does it??
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sal37

Quote from: "Crosley"adding the flattening agent does not hurt the UV protection of the clear  does it??
That is what I was hoping to find out :wink:
Steve

enjenjo

No it doesn't hurt it. All new cars have a clear coat on them, and have for some time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.