Buick build

Started by enjenjo, January 24, 2006, 12:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

As most of you know, I have a 65 Buick Sportwagon. I blew the engine in it coming back from Bonneville in 2004. It broke a timing chain, which took out both the crank, and the block. That hurt. :cry:

It took me nearly a year to decide which way to go on the rebuild, I was torn between a 455 Stage I, or a smaller engine. I finally decided to stick with an original motor. so after some looking, I found another 300 ci. motor that had a good block.

After thinking about it, I decided to set it up with a TBI injection setup, and a 200R4 trans. While discussing the engine with my machinist, we discovered this is very similar to a Buick 3.8 V6, with two more cylinders. So we used 3.8 pistons with a 9.5 compression. The heads were rebuilt to 3.8 specs with new valves. I could not find a cam that was suitable for this setup on a 300 engine, so Delta Cams ground me one using 3.8 EFI specs.

So what I am building is a V8 version of the Buick GN motor without a turbo. With an overdrive automatic, and a 3.42 rear axle ratio. The Fuel injector is off a 305 Chevy V8, so should be sized right for this engine. I am going to build my own wiring harness, TBI is fairly simple.

Any thoughts? Comments? Criticism?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Sounds good to me.  How are you going to do the fuel system?  I like the pump in the tank setup best.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Sounds good to me.  How are you going to do the fuel system?  I like the pump in the tank setup best.

I do too, but I am not sure that will be possible here. The tank in a wagon is kind of oddly shaped, and does not lend itself to a sump. So I may run an external pump with an external sump instead. This is a small tank under the car that is supplied with low pressure fuel from the tank by one pump, and from there, high pressure fuel is drawn with another pump.

rooster

Sounds like a neat setup, the condition of the wagon makes it all worth it.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Sounds good to me.  How are you going to do the fuel system?  I like the pump in the tank setup best.

I do too, but I am not dure that will be possible here. The tank in a wagon is kind of oddly shaped, and does not lend itself to a sump. So I may run an external pump with an external sump instead. This is a small tank under the car that is supplied with low pressure fuel from the tank by one pump, and from there, high pressure fuel is drawn with another pump.

I think that will work fine.  I think that Choco shows that in his book.  I know I have it in a book somewhere.  I have a neighbor who has his setup like that and it works fine.  Just an extra pump to fail but not a big deal.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"The tank in a wagon is kind of oddly shaped, and does not lend itself to a sump.
Plus a trailer hitch of any capacity usually screws up any room that might be left to change tanks. Probably almost as bad as trying to design a hitch for a "Pro-Streeted" Rambler. GPster

rooster

Is it possable to tap in the existing tank and relocate through plumbing to a different sump area using gravity feed. Perhaps a altered spin-on diesel fuel filter to except fi pump.

just brain storming!

sirstude

John,  What is the "Choco" book?, I have been looking for basic info on EFI and the wiring side for a long time.  Just am interested for a later day.  

Frank,  Don't the TBI setups need less fuel pressure than the Tuned Port type? If so, I would think one of the inline EFI pumps would work well and keep you from having to find room.  Looking foward to seeing the Buick again, I think it is KUHL!

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

river1

Quote from: "sirstude"John,  What is the "Choco" book?, I have been looking for basic info on EFI and the wiring side for a long time.  Just am interested for a later day. Doug

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094939890X/qid=1138130434/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8015725-5277749?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

long link hope it works

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat46

So what I am building is a V8 version of the Buick GN motor without a turbo.

So....why no turbo?   :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"So what I am building is a V8 version of the Buick GN motor without a turbo.

So....why no turbo?   :lol:

later :twisted:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "sirstude"John,  What is the "Choco" book?, I have been looking for basic info on EFI and the wiring side for a long time.  Just am interested for a later day. Doug

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094939890X/qid=1138130434/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8015725-5277749?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

long link hope it works

later jim

The one I have of Choco's is this one and it deals more with TPI but some of the information also would apply to TBI.  http://www.compoutpost.com/store/item.asp?code=G-TPF1

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck