Another HAMB new guy and my Chevy

Started by blown240, January 13, 2006, 12:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blown240

I just heard about this place on the HAMB.  So I figured I'd come check it out.

I've been doing the car thing for about 6 years now.  I didn't know a thing about working on them when I started, but I have always been pretty good with my hands.  I cut my teeth on a 85 Volvo 240 that ended up being a blown, shaved, and bagged street machine. (hence the screen name)

Here are a couple pics of my 51 Chevy.  I bought it in September from a buddy for $1500 and am building it into a mild custom.  Its got a 235 with a 3 speed.

This is what it looked like when I drove it home, it was worst when I bought it.  Its come along ways in 4 months:

The next plan is to step notch the frame and get the windows in.  I also am going to spray the roof silver metalic.

Here is a pic or 2 of the 240 that started it all.  Sometimes I wish I still had this car.  It had a supercharger off of a Toyota Mini Van on the stock non turbo motor with a cam, intake, exhaust, yadda, yadda.  It turned 200,000 miles going down the track at Fontana:

and a link to a burnout video in the same car:

http://www.hardcars.com/blown240/burnout.MPG

Here is a car that I started to build, but I never finished because the Chevy became available.  Its a 63 Volvo 122.  It was bagged and had the beginings of a Twin Turbo 283 from a 57 Vette.

I did every speck of work on all these cars.  And I have learned a whole lot more than I ever thought I would have.

And finally the car that really fired up the desire to build cars.  My 56 Mercury Monterey Pheaton.  This was the original paint, it had a 312 and open headers.  I had to sell it to because I couldn't afford it and my girlfriend.  (but its OK, we have been married 6 years now.)

Thats about it.  Sorry for such a long post, but I figure if I am going to introduce myself I might as well do it right.

rumrumm

Welcome to the RRT, and  thanks for the photos. It's always good to know what a person is working on. I really like that Chevy--keep up posted on your progress.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

GPster

Very nice job on that turbo exhaust manifold on that small block. Such a shame to cover it with a hood.It looks like you're coming here with some different ideas, Have fun. GPster

"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

rooster

Welcome aboard! Nice projects, I was checking out that weled up hood on the chevy.

blown240

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I still have those SBC turbo manifolds, and the turbos.  They werent too hard to build really, the biggest problem was getting them to fit in between the fenders.  I was actually thinking of putting the turbos on the 235, but thats a ways away.

And yeah, welding that hood was a pain!  At least keeping it from getting all warped was a pain, but it turned out ok.

Crosley.In.AZ

welcome aboard the RRT board.

Kool stuff.  

I like to see non-run of the mill cars.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mac

Welcome to the board.
I like your Chevy and the fact that it runs a 235.
Some of the rides I have owned and wrenched and loved include:
`59 PV 544, `63 122S and a `41 Chevy PU with a `56 235  :D

Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

reborn55

welcome--nice rides--thanks for sharing

alchevy

I like the Chevy too! When I bought my '40 Chevy, the same guy had a '52 or '53 for sale. That got me to start looking at the '49 - '54 Chevrolets. With all of the Tri-5s getting a lot of attention and pre-'49 Chevy street rods getting a lot of attention, those ('49-'54) cars get overlooked and they are sharp looking!

I have street rods running through my brain so much, but maybe one of these years, I'll own one of those years for a second part of my hobby. Folks are always asking me what car am I going to get next. I tell them that I have not finished this one yet...I know, they are never finished! I really did not have an answer for them. But then I started thinking about it and came up with a few (like a '51-'53 Chevy) and:

1. I have suddenly re-thought my liking of a 1970 Pontiac Trams Am. Even went to the store the other day and found a scale dicast of it, then went back to the same store and bought a smaller version of it too. Been buying Pontiac Enthusiast magazines...I've got it bad, is there any cure?
2. a '48 Chevy Pickup.
3. a '34 chopped Chevy Coupe. Fiberglass because there is too much wood in the real thing.
4. (yeah, I know I'm a Chevy guy, but...) Everybody loves a '32 Ford Coupe or Roadster.

Ok, I'm back from dreamland now.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com