A question for someone older than Crosley

Started by GPster, January 10, 2006, 04:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

On the old castiron Powerglides ('51 - '54) what is the reason for the ATF cooler in the lower radiator hose? My '53 moved under it's own power when it was still a car. It has even moved under it's own power in its latest truck disguise after it had been under water during the hurrican of 2004. I had to remove the stock cooler because of water leaking externally. First I just had a cooler under the cab and then I went to the trouble of installing lines and  in front of the radiator. To check my installation I put a gasline filetr on it to make sure I knew the ins and outs of the flow and see if there was a lot of sediment in the fluid (this thing has no pan and no filter on it,stock). Today I put the rear end of this creation up on jackstands and let it run for about an hour. I had it in all the gears (low and drive) and reverse and let it spin the wheels most of that time. If there's any flow to and through the filter and cooler it's minimal and there certainly no heat. The fluid level in the transmission is up to snuff and the tires spin in the correct direction for the gear and only minimal in neutral. You can tell of the egagement of the gears by the change of idle speed of the engine. Years ago ('74?) I had been told by an old time automatic transmission mechanic that the cooler in the bottom of the radiator was to transfer heat to the ATF to increase it's viscosity. That may have been an idea closer to the technology of this thing. Any ideas? GPster

Bob K

There ain't nobody older than Crosley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well maybe one guy.

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

GPster

Quote from: "Bob K"There ain't nobody older than Crosley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well maybe one guy.B 8) B
That was meant as a play on (with?) words.  The cars were manufactured in the same period as I looking at but Tony probably wasn't dialed into the transmission technology at that time. GPster

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Bob K"There ain't nobody older than Crosley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well maybe one guy.

B 8) B

an older then dirt comment coming from a dude older then God :shock:  :wink: :lol:
xoxoxox
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

phat rat

Well maybe one guy.

B 8) B

YOU?????????????????
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"

Well maybe one guy.

B 8) B

YOU?????????????????

Gnomes are immortal

:shock:

The tranny will not build any heat sitting at idle with tires spinning.

The unit you speak of in the radiator water is a heat exchanger.  It warms or cools the fluid as needed.  Same thing is done in modern cars. The engine radiator warms the fluid in cold climates to reduce shift complaints .
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"The tranny will not build any heat sitting at idle with tires spinning.
Thanks for that realization but shouldn't there be flow through the cooling lines or is that a product of the amount of work being done too. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Crosley"The tranny will not build any heat sitting at idle with tires spinning.
Thanks for that realization but shouldn't there be flow through the cooling lines or is that a product of the amount of work being done too. GPster

should be flow , perhaps clogged?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "GPster"If there's any flow to and through the filter and cooler it's minimal and there certainly no heat.

I may be wrong, but I would guess that the volume of flow would be proportional to pump rpm.  

At idle speed, the pump is probably not moving much fluid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

GPster

I write my stuff down here to keep from keeping a scrap book. Today I put a length of clear plastic line in the trans cooler line so I could see if there was flow and what direction it was going. With the truck up on the jackstands I put it in gear and pryed on the emergency brake cables so that the wheels slowed down and then stopped. I could tell that this type of strain  had not happened with this trans in a long time because I stalled the engine at first. After playing with it for a while and assuring myself of the direction of fluid flow (which I had wrong) I took out the clear line and re-installed the in-line filter. I let it run for a while in gear with the wheels blocked and it seemed to start bringing all sorts of junk to the surface. It even bubble stuff up the dipstick tube. The fluid isn't even close to that nice red color but I think I'll play with filters and new fluid for a while. Later GPster