Lakester update....

Started by 1FATGMC, January 09, 2006, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Mike made mention of the wooden mock-up cage that I've had for my lakester for some time.  It is now gone.  This past week I've replaced a lot of it finally with real steel :!:  :!:.

I've also completed most of the rear suspension and locator parts as seen at the back of the picture above.  Things are moving along faster now, but still August is not that far away.  I still have the frame ahead and behind the cage to do, plus the front axle and suspension (it will be complicated) along with all the wiring, plumbing, etc. and of course it would be nice to have a body on it.  I'll keep working hard, but I guess it will be done when it is finished  :roll:

I just thought I would mention where I'm at on the project.  You can see more (  HERE  ).

If you haven't been on my site for awhile and you are interested in construction pictures you might want to check out the build pictures on Harv's lakester and Ack Attack's 330 mph motorcycle streamliner (  HERE  ).

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

Looking good Sum. I agree you are kind of over building it, but it shoud be plenty safe. :lol: I think you could set in that in a car crusher and still be safe. :lol:

Is the idea behind the IRS to reduce unsprung weight, or because of the chain drive?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"Looking good Sum. I agree you are kind of over building it, but it shoud be plenty safe. :lol: I think you could set in that in a car crusher and still be safe. :lol:

Is the idea behind the IRS to reduce unsprung weight, or because of the chain drive?

Actually the rules are pretty strict on the cage part of the car.  I could of used 1 5/8 X.120 round tubing, but I'm not really set up to work with that, so the 2 X 2 square tubing is minimum for the main rails in the cage area.  The rest of the frame forward and behind the cage will be 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 square tubing.  I'm hoping this car will eventually run over 250 MPH, probably not with me being the driver, so I like the idea of it being strong.  

I've also seen lakesters there that have spun and then tore off wheels/tires when the axle and/or suspension components have failed.  Then the car usually digs in on some part of the car and barrel rolls.  I don't want that to happen either.

The IRS was to both give me suspension yet provide a solid center section for the chain drive.  I have a second Datsun rear that is the same as the one on the car yet is stock.  I'm thinking if I ever wanted to run a conventional motor that has a drive shaft I could replace the present center section with that one and use the same 1/2 shafts.  That way it would be fairly easy to convert the car to a drive shaft driven car.  I also looked at turning the motor sideways and running a drive shaft as they do in the dwarf and legend cars, but with the chain drive I think it is more efficient and I have hundreds of gear ratios to choose between by changing the drive and/or driven sprocket.  With the current rear sprocket just by changing the counter shaft sprocket I can go from 160 mph at 12,000 rpm to 215 mph at 12,000 rpm in about 10 mph increments.  That is a pretty cheap quick change.

c ya at the crusher  :D ,

Sum

kb426

For those of you that don't know, weight is very critical on saltflat cars. Without it, you get no traction. Alot of the cars I've seen have bellypans made from 1/4" plate. In most forms of racing, weight is the enemy. In Bonneville, weight needs to be in the right places but is your friend.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

B'ville is one race track where adding weight can make the car go faster

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"B'ville is one race track where adding weight can make the car go faster

8)

that is why if i ever go racing it'll be at bonneville :roll:

lookin good sumner

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Crosley"B'ville is one race track where adding weight can make the car go faster

8)

lookin good sumner

later jim

JIm,

you gotta be able to get into the car

:shock:
Tony

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "river1"

8)

lookin good sumner

later jim

Lately Jim has practiced his racing by taking on the Indian Highway Partrol.  Jim lost.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

DRD57

1FATGMC

Quote from: "DRD57"I like the rear shocks

I can make you a pair if you would like some  :D .

c ya, Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

c ya, Sum

yeah, they kinda give me "wood" :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

purplepickup

Sumner that is really coming along.  You have definitely done your homework over the years.  I know you've wanted to do this for a while now and it's great to see it coming together.  I'll bet you're having fun just building and planning. :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person and especially on the salt when it's ready.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"

c ya, Sum

yeah, they kinda give me "wood" :roll:

yeh , they would
Tony