What should it be?

Started by GPster, January 09, 2006, 08:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

It ain't there so I don't know what it is or what I should do to fix it? Looking around for a cheap automatic floor shifter I happened on one out of a Mustang ( I think maybe an early Mustang II). The shift lever fastens on to a round shaft that goes through the side of the case and has welded on to it the lever that holds the shift rod that goes to the transmission. All of this motion was very sloppy. when I took it apart there is so much difference the between the diameter of the OD of the shaft and the ID of the bearing boss it looks like there should be something in there. The shaft and the bearing boss do not appear worn but when I looked to see if maybe a cheap oilite bearing would fit there doesn't appear to be a large enough ID of the bearing boss to let one fit. Was there some kind of nylon bearing in there? If there was, anyone got an idea of where to get one with-out having to special order one from FORD? Or might I be better off to bore the bearing boos to take an oillite bearing. There is a shortage of floor shifters with a P-N-Dr-L-R pattern. After making the frame to put the steering wheel where I wanted it  I have to get the shifter where I want it so I can build the floor. GPster

enjenjo

Yes, there is a nylon bushing in there. you can get them at a Parts store, but you may still have to order it. I'll see if I can come up with a part number.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I spent about an hour today thumbing through a Mustang magazine looking at all the two-page ads from companies that propose to have every part you could need to fix your Mustang. None of them even seem to realize that there's a shifter for the transmission. So now for the dumb fix. Oil lite bearings with a 5/8" ID have a 3/4" OD but i/2" copper tube has a 5/8" OD and a 1/2" copper sweat coupling has the correct size OD to fit in the bearing boss of the shifter case. Now copper won't rust and even though it's softer than steel it's stronger than nylon. I may try to make my own bushing. It should be alright if no one urinates on it and turns it green. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"It should be alright if no one urinates on it and turns it green. GPster

it will fine , keep tomslik away from it

:wink:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)