Quick Change Rig & Pinion Ratios

Started by Bib_Overalls, January 21, 2006, 04:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

I'm thinking about having Wilson Welding fabricate one of their V8 quick chance center sections for my next project.

I have two ring and pinion sets; 4.11/1 and 3/78/1.  

I have always thought that 4.11/1 was the way to go.  But when I look at the tables on the Winter's page it looks like the 3.78/1 set offers better final ratios for the street.  A 23/24 set gives 3.62 and 3.94.  A 23/25 set gives 3.48 and 4.11.

Any opinions?

Incidentally, I have finally bought a body so I know what I am building.  A 26/27 Model T two door sedan.  It is going to get a moderate chop and sit on a set of original 32 rails.  I'll use my Olds 215 with the small bell housing 700R-4 transmission I have on the shelf.  Rear will be a banjo axle and A spring.  Front will be a Model A axle with the spring mounted to the wishbones.  And I will be running wide 5s.  At least that is the plan.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

1FATGMC

I would go with the 3.78.  I researched this a little when we were thinking a quick change for Hooley's Stude.  I can't remembe all of the particulars, but I think the 4.11 is really for the circle track guys and maybe it would also build more heat, but I'm not sure of that.  As you found out the 3.78 will give you a lot better choices of final drive gears for what you are doing since you probably won't be turning 8 grand :D .

c ya,

Sum