Resources

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2006, 03:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

It was mentioned the other day that I always have an answer. Well it's not always but I often do have one. I am blessed with a good memory so far, and I have spent a lot of time cyphering this stuff out. but at the same time I am learning from all of you too, and have learned from others for many years. but every day, I still go to the books. What books you may ask? I have about 30 feet of shelves with various reference books on them. Bearing spec books, parts catalogs, street rod dealer catalogs, Mitchell manuals, Motor repair manuals, Chilton repair manuals, Hollander interchange manuals, tool catalogs, hardware catalogs, and on and on. In addition, I usually buy a factory service manual for just about any car I own, and many I work on for customers. I even keep parts manuals that are hopelessly out of date, because often, they will list parts that are still available, but without the old catalogs, you would never know.

In addition there are many resources on the web this are useful in getting specifications and dimensions that I need. resources such as  

http://www.tocmp.com/ the old car manual project
http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm engineering guide
http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/trans_dims.htm
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9164/lugcircle.txt

and many others. Most of there were found from links here, or from Google searches.

Many of the books I have were bough from used book stores, garage sales, auctions, and swap meets. Some are bought new. Some I get from the parts stores I deal with, they are happy to give me last years catalog, as they know it will mean more sales for them. You can also get free catalogs on the web from many suppliers.

I also have a Machinery handbook, useful for strength of materials, weights of materials, tread specifications, gear ratios, and hundreds of other things. My copys were published in 1940, and 1949, but most of the information has not changed, and they are fine for my purposes.

I can't emphasize how useful a factory service manual can be. It shows all the hidden fasteners, special tools, torque specs, and all the other info you might need. Reprints are fine, but generally not as durable as the original manuals.

Hopefully this will help in finding information for your project, so it's more fun doing it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

The more information I have the more confused I get. Thank GOD I have a friend that can dish it out only as fast as I can use it. GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm a little like Frank, but I have say that his collection is more vast. I think it it's healthy to have a large dose of curious and to learn to do research. I understand how difficult it is at times to find an answer to todays tougher technical questions, so the RRT and other boards do a great job of asembling experts and lesser experts.

More power to all of us!

Now, if only every car enthusiast was born with the chart of axle bolt circle diameters......

Happy New Year all.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Sean

One of my Teachers, way back in Highschool, used to say-

"A wise man doesn't need to know the answer to everything, he just needs to know where to look it up..."

phat46

I eliminate all the middle men and go straight to the source:                      * Frank*         :lol:

alchevy

Good friends in the car building world are priceless. The whole entire time my '40 Chevy was being street rodded, I kept on telling myself that I was glad it wasn't the first one to be done this way. To tell the truth...friends are who got me into this hobby and still are there today.

We used to say that you can't build a car without the following tools: duct tape, sharpies, ziplock bags, wd40, etc. But now that we are in the digital age, some new tools need to be added: digital cameras, e-mail, internet resources, & friends that know where to find those resources!
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Pete

No Superman comics?
hee hee

I nominate Frank for site librarian :P  Well....Now that it's the New Year....How about we all send a contribution to Fat Cat to maintain this place so we can all continue to keep Enjenjo busy answering our questions! The contact info can be accessed from the main page.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

kb426

I wish someone could fix my memory. It's been 9 years since I quit racing. Since I'm not as active in the auto world, me loss of info is growing. In watching the HAMB, the younger guys are asking questions that I used to spit out the answers instantly. Now I think for awhile and I'm not sure enough to tell my thoughts sometimes. I agree with Frank on resources. Never have enough, now if I can only remember where I put that book. :lol:
TEAM SMART

40 Chev Coupe

And I thank you for all the info you have given me over the years. Again thank you.

Okiedokie

I second 40's nomination. Joe

parklane

If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Dirk35

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/index.php
(motorhead message board)

The link above is one of my most usefull sites for obsecure knowledge. Ill never figure out how you remember or find all those weird questions Frank!

GPster

I have to upgrade my list. Enjenjo for what works and Bob Paulin for why. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

I was wondering about the dot 3 & 4 brake  fluids the other day....... all I had to do was re-read the tech article on this site for the differences in them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)