Installing Weatherstrip

Started by MikeC, January 06, 2006, 06:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeC

I just received my weatherstrip for the doors and trunk lid from Steele.  What is the best way to install it?  This is my first rod and I have never done it before.  As much detail as possible would be great.
Thanks
MikeC

Dirk35

3M Weather Strip Adheasive perhaps?

enjenjo

I use 3M black super weather strip adhesive. I use it as a contact cement, applied to both sides. Use masking tape to keep it off areas you don't want glue on. Clean the weather strip with a solvent to remove mold release. Don't stretch the weather strip when applying, it will return to the original length over time, and leave a gap. I also use masking tape to hold it in place while it sets up. Don't be supprised if you need to readjust doors and so forth after installing the weather strips.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MikeC

You don't need to use any clips or anything?  Just glue it on.  What about location in relation to the jamb?  Middle, high, low,??

enjenjo

Some cars use clips, on them I replace or reuse them. The location on the jamb kind of depends on the rubber. If it's OE style, it would go back where the original was. Some of the replacements, you install where there is room. You have a service manual for your car? That will tell you where the OE style fits.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.