New Member introducing myself

Started by donsrods, January 25, 2006, 09:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donsrods

MY Son directed me to this roundtable because he is a rodder also, and heard very good things about the members that participate here. He feels the conversations here tend to be very constructive and kind toward fellow members, and he thought I might enjoy participating.

I live in Ft. Myers Florida, and have been a Hot Rodder all my life. My two grown twin Sons and I share a shop where we play with our cars. My one Son is building a drag '84 Capri, and my other Son is building a '29 Ford Fordor that is going to be killer. My personal cars are a '50 style 1927 Ford roadster that has not been driven in about 5 years. I took it off the road to rebuild it, and got sidetracked with other projects. My current build is a '39 Dodge pickup that is chopped 5 inches, channelled 4, and sits on a custom Z'd frame my Son and I built. The engine is a 406 (bored out 394) Olds, with trips, etc. I also have a T bucket and '29 Ford Modified in the collecting parts for stage.

I like forums like this, because TV stinks, and I feel at 60 years of age I can offer some suggestions to younger rodders who have build questions. Plus, some of the members have knowledge that amazes me. You are never too old to learn. I hope none of you mind if I post answers on threads I feel I can be of some help on. I guess the safe thing to do is sit back and don't post for a while, but I have never been exactly shy. I don't think I am a know-it-all, because I don't know-it-all, but I have a soft spot in my heart for youngsters coming into this great hobby, and like to save them a few bruised knuckles whenever I can. I just hate to see someone struggling with some problem that I have wrestled with and found some answers to.

I am going to post a picture of my current build, as well as the frame my one Son is building for his '29. Mine is the flat black one, and his is the pretty one.  I look forward to making some new friends and learning some things I didn't know.

Thanks, Don

donsrods

And this is the frame my Son built, and that I wish I owned!!

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT. On the frame, I'll distract him, you snatch the frame. :twisted:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Welcome to RRT!! I like the 39, way cool!!! GPster may have intrest in that grill you have on there.

Denny

donsrods

Thanks, but I think the grille I am using has a face only a Mother could love. But it sort of fits the look I am after, I guess.

parklane

Welcome Don. I think you will really like this forum, as it covers the whole gambit.

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"GPster may have intrest in that grill you have on there.
Denny
How did you see the grill? Am I missing something? I love the simplicity of the truck. You should be congratulated at 60 years old to even be able to get into something like that and drive it. I've been bent one time to many and have to design something where my butt sits 10" higher than my ankles. Because mine ('51 Chevy cab) is wider, my grill needs to be 26" wide. I'm now playing with the idea of fabricating one out of an old wheelbarow tub or maybe the door off a '50s style refrigerator. Welcome! I like the idea of an "old time" rod being built by an old timer. GPster

jaybee

That's an awesome truck, the tractor grill is going to get a lot of double takes.  Welcome to RRT.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Uncle Bob

Hi Don.

Lotta smart cookies here.  Ya gotta be quick. :)
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

donsrods

Actually the grille is from a '39 Pllymouth truck. Exactly the same as the'39 Dodge, cab-wise, but the Dodge front end is REALLY ugly. This one is only half-ugly.

As for my age, I just can't figure out how they got my 18 year old mind trapped in this 60 year old body. At least the women I've had in my life tell me that is my maturity level. Don't you just love it when they tell you to "stop acting like a teenager." WHY?  I'm having too much fun this way.

Don

Welcome!Most of us will take all the help we can get!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

rumrumm

Welcome,  Don. It's good to have another experienced rodder aboard.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

donsrods

Thanks guys for the nice welcome. I'm not sure how much experience I have, especially when I see the level of knowledge a lot of you have, but I have made many mistakes over the years building cars, and if I can help steer someone away from the same mistakes that would be nice.

One thing I have learned is that when you have a pool of people with diverse knowledge like on this forum, SOMEBODY will have a solution to somebody elses question.  I look forward to learning from you all, and putting in my 2 cents when I think I can offer something.

Thanks again, Don