custom bumper and chroming question

Started by 48builder, June 28, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

For my back bumpers, I took 2 rear bumpers, cut the ends off both, and then put the ends back together into 2 bumpers that are about 2-1/2 feet long. I will weld bolts into them and weld the ends together.

Question is, I need to get the old chrome off before welding. The guy I talked to at Advanced Plating said chemical stripping works best. Is that something I can do? Would sandblasting take it off? The local chrome shop here is not very responsive when it comes to custom stuff. Can I do it with a grinder and just be careful?

And, does anybody have a chrome shop they recommend? I'm finewith sending the peices out. I guess Advanced Plating has a good reputation. The one local guy has a horrible reputation, and I've seen his work flake off in just a few years. If I'm going to pay for a chrome finish, I want it to look good and last.

Thanks

Walt

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

MrMopar64

You could just take them to the local shop and have them de-chrome the parts for you (which is done in their tank) Then send them to another shop to have them plated when you are done
My plater never charges me to de-chrome parts but he also does the plating when I'm done :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

48builder

Quote from: "MrMopar64"You could just take them to the local shop and have them de-chrome the parts for you (which is done in their tank)
MM64  8)

I took it to the local guy, and he never mentioned chemically stripping them. He said he was going to grind off the old chrome. I was thinking why should I pay somebody to grind it off. I can do that. I didn't have a warm feeling about the guy at that point.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Woody2B

I've only heard of chemically stripping it in the tank.  It doesn't make sense to grind the chrome off.  Any grinding marks just have to be polished out before they rechrome it anyway.  More labor=more $$$.

48builder

Quote from: "Woody2B"I've only heard of chemically stripping it in the tank.  It doesn't make sense to grind the chrome off.  Any grinding marks just have to be polished out before they rechrome it anyway.  More labor=more $$$.

My thoughts exactly. He wanted $100 to grind off the old chrome. He also said he could not fill the pits. He said he would have to put it in the tank and polish down over and over until the pits were gone. At $120 per dip, I could see that getting very expensive.
'39 Chevy driver

MrMopar64

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "Woody2B"I've only heard of chemically stripping it in the tank.  It doesn't make sense to grind the chrome off.  Any grinding marks just have to be polished out before they rechrome it anyway.  More labor=more $$$.

My thoughts exactly. He wanted $100 to grind off the old chrome. He also said he could not fill the pits. He said he would have to put it in the tank and polish down over and over until the pits were gone. At $120 per dip, I could see that getting very expensive.

Well as far as stripping goes (from what I understand) they put it in the tank reverse the current and the plating comes off... I've watched it be done but thats all I know about it

Woody2B is right about the grinder marks it will take a lot of work to get them out

As for the pits one way get them out is to copper and polish over and over till the pits are filled. This is generally used on cast parts

On steel bumpers you could sand and polish till you get rid of the pits
and you'll be finishing the welds anyway

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol: