Just a Reminder.....

Started by 1FATGMC, December 10, 2005, 07:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

....to be careful in the shop.

I called Don Meyer who lives by St. Louis yesterday.  Some of you know him as he has gone to b'ville with us with his black Ford pickup and black camping trailer.  He retired and sold his parts store to his son a couple years ago and sometimes still helps out.  Recently he was down in the basement of the parts store pressing a bushing into an "A- arm" with a socket for a customer.  We have probably all done this with bushings or U-joints.  The socket popped out -- hard -- and hit him in one eye.  He was in surgery for 5 hours, but they couldn't save the eye.  He is home and doing as well as could be expected and wants to come out and go to B'ville next summer.

I have another friend who has a friend that was using either a hand grinder or cut-off wheel and the wheel exploded hitting him in the face.  It was touch and go with him, but they were able to save his eye.

Since I wear glasses I've been pretty lax about wearing face/eye protection in the past, but for the last year or so I'm trying harder to use it whenever I'm grinding.  I'll use it also now with the press.  I use one of those thick face shields and feel pretty safe with it.

I've been pretty good with ear protection since I lost a lot of my hearing when I had the motorcycle shop and can't afford to lose more.

Anyway think safety as much as possible.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Sorry to read this.  I hope he heals up OK.

With the laser correction of my eyes I must watch what i am doing.  For 6+ years I have walked up to a machine and flipped the switch 'on' since I always had glasses on.

Now I must remember to put safety glasses on.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

Thanks for the reminder Sum, we all get a little
lazy from time to time, myself included  :shock:

it only takes a second to put on eye/face protection,
but loosing an eye, or worse, lasts a lifetime.  :x

take care of the peepers guys, its the only set you get  :!:  :!:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Land Yacht

I  wear safety goggles,  probably should get a face sheild, amazing how much stuff can fly around.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

Bob Paulin

When I taught vocational auto mechanics, it always seemed as though I was fighting an uphill battle to get the students to wear eye protection......

.....until I found a "method."

I read in a vocational education magazine about how to "blind" a student in one eye - temporarily, of course - and have them go through the day with the use of one eye only.

We would tape a gauze pad over one eye. Of course, I would make sure that they were not scheduled to operate any machinery or do any project that required accurate sight.

At first, there was a bit of chuckling as they would over-reach for something on the bench (no depth perception), but it started to get pretty serious by the end of the day as they became more frustrated with their "handicap", and they were all so grateful to have their sight returned to normal at the end of the day that the wearing of eye protection was, simply, no longer an issue....

....that coupled with an eye safety film that showed a surgeon digging out a piece of shattered grinding wheel......

It really felt good to hear the students remind each other about wearing safety glasses BEFORE I could.........

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

slocrow

That's really too bad to hear that about Don. That just bums me out. Please wish him a speedy recovery.

Quote from: "1FATGMC"....I use one of those thick face shields and feel pretty safe with it.
I've got to get one of these as I've been thinking about it for to long.
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat46

Quote from: "1FATGMC"....to be careful in the shop.

I called Don Meyer who lives by St. Louis yesterday.  Some of you know him as he has gone to b'ville with us with his black Ford pickup and black camping trailer.  He retired and sold his parts store to his son a couple years ago and sometimes still helps out.  Recently he was down in the basement of the parts store pressing a bushing into an "A- arm" with a socket for a customer.  We have probably all done this with bushings or U-joints.  The socket popped out -- hard -- and hit him in one eye.  He was in surgery for 5 hours, but they couldn't save the eye.  He is home and doing as well as could be expected and wants to come out and go to B'ville next summer.

I have another friend who has a friend that was using either a hand grinder or cut-off wheel and the wheel exploded hitting him in the face.  It was touch and go with him, but they were able to save his eye.

Since I wear glasses I've been pretty lax about wearing face/eye protection in the past, but for the last year or so I'm trying harder to use it whenever I'm grinding.  I'll use it also now with the press.  I use one of those thick face shields and feel pretty safe with it.

I've been pretty good with ear protection since I lost a lot of my hearing when I had the motorcycle shop and can't afford to lose more.

Anyway think safety as much as possible.

c ya, Sum

Yup, a reminder once in while is good, although I feel naked without safety glasses on. I noticed there was a pair on the tranny hump in my truck today...I put my hand up to my collar and there was another pair hanging there too. i was just leaving my daughters house after helping her strip old paint off her fireplace; i don't even want to think about paint stripper in the eyes!!! Once you've done the drill to the eye treatment in the E.R. you really think about your eye protection. I hope your friend recovers well.