O/T how I spent my sunday morning

Started by Dave, December 04, 2005, 01:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well its muzzle loader season here now . Started Friday. Went out this morning and scored an all time new high. Got 2 more good sized deer about 20 minutes apart and about 20 yards apart.  Thats 4 for the season so far and muzzleloader runs another week or so then we have late doe on private land till January 1st Looks like im taking the evening off :lol: . Gotta go clean the gun.
Dave

phat46

Quote from: "N8DC"Well its muzzle loader season here now . Started Friday. Went out this morning and scored an all time new high. Got 2 more good sized deer about 20 minutes apart and about 20 yards apart.  Thats 4 for the season so far and muzzleloader runs another week or so then we have late doe on private land till January 1st Looks like im taking the evening off :lol: . Gotta go clean the gun.
Dave

Good job!!!I only got the one buck this year, and i don't have a black powder gun, so i guess i'm done. There's a venison roast cooking in the slow cooker right now though!!!!   :D

Dave

Good job!!!I only got the one buck this year, and i don't have a black powder gun, so i guess i'm done. There's a venison roast cooking in the slow cooker right now though!!!!   :D[/quote]

Well I gave these away. One to a buddy thats got bad neck problems and cant hunt and the other went to my brothers buddy. We are going to pick up the summer sausage, hunter sticks, breakfast sausage ,and brats from the 2 i shot earlier and the 2 my kid shot tomorrow.  I really dont need any more meat although we didnt make any burger but I can sacrifice that for goodies.
Im pretty stoked cause ive never had this kind of luck before. Im gonna get another maybe 2 more doe permits just so I can go back out. I really like being out on the hunting grounds and this am was very pretty with new snow and a lot of deer. If I saw one id bet I saw 30 well a good 20 anyway. More than ive ever seen before. Got the gun all cleaned and now im headed for the gas station.  Looks like the soonest ill get back out is wed but its on the way home and that helps. Ive got a few other folks that want deer and im having a ball so as long as they want em ill help out. If I wasnt going to puerto Rico the end of January and saving cash for that id try for another and have the whole thing made into brats. They were a big hit at the rrt bbq at the nats north a couple years ago. We didnt do well last year so we didnt have any for this years feast  :(
Dave

C9

Do you use one of the modern style muzzle loaders?

With scope perhaps?

I'm curious what kind of drop does it have at say 200 yards if you have it sighted right on 100 yards?

(Dragged the 22-250 and 6mm TCU out and am headed for the range Tuesday or Wednesday.)
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Dave

Quote from: "C9"Do you use one of the modern style muzzle loaders?

With scope perhaps?

I'm curious what kind of drop does it have at say 200 yards if you have it sighted right on 100 yards?

(Dragged the 22-250 and 6mm TCU out and am headed for the range Tuesday or Wednesday.)

New style break open like a single shot shotgun. Uses 209 proimers and im shooting 100 grains of powder(2pellets) and 200 grain Thompson center shockwave sabots. I kinda sighted it in quick so im 3 inches high at roughly 55 to 60 yards which is a little too high but i left it at
that.  

I really need to shoot it more but its working so im going to leave it alone till next season. Id like it 1 inch high at 50 for a good 100 yd shot. They will shoot up to 200 although we dont need 200yd range where we hunt.
If you wanna check it out to see what i have I think the link is
www.traditionsfirearms.com. I have the traditions persuit lt Its the Light weight model and I really like it. Oh ya I do have a scope on it too. I cant see the end of the barrel anymore  :lol:  Thats why the scope.
Dave

phat46

Oh ya I do have a scope on it too. I cant see the end of the barrel anymore  :lol:  Thats why the scope.
Dave[/quote]

I finally started using a scope a few years ago. I was a diehard peepsight  guy,,,till i missed a trophy buck; afterwards I realised that I had been looking over the back peep and using just the front bead  :oops:  Now i use a scope and it's nearly idiot proof...nearly..

C9

Neat rifle Dave.

Looks like a second shot can be loaded up pretty quick as compared to a Kentucky style rifle.

You're using pelletized black powder or Pyrodex?
Didn't know you could get it that way.

Living in Central California, even with all the open land, it's difficult to find a place to shoot.

More better here.
Plus I found a nice range about ten miles from the house.

I'm looking forward to getting the 6MM TCU sighted in.
Got it before I moved to Central Cali and only have 50 fire forming rounds through it.
The Leupold scope adjusters were darn near frozen up when I bought the long eye relief scope.
After a year and a half out fo warranty I sent it back to Leupold to see if it could be repaired.
They sent me a brand new one, but I never got around to getting it sighted in.

We have elk here, I can show you some right up the hill from me, but it's in an area you can't hunt.

Interesting too, with Arizona being such a conservative state, firearms laws are reasonable and sensible and there's quite a bit of hunting goes on.
Fishing on the Colorado River right down the hill - 30 miles - is popular with the fishermen.

Real funny part about AZ are the legal open carry laws.
I kept seeing guys in stores packing pistols and figured they were off duty police officers.
Just civilians.
My favorite was the about 90 + year old guy packing a little 380 auto and telling me stories about the Deuce roadster his mom bought him when he went to college.

AZ's an interesting place with a lot of history and where I live there's quite a hot rod presence.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Dave

Quote from: "C9"Neat rifle Dave.

Looks like a second shot can be loaded up pretty quick as compared to a Kentucky style rifle.

You're using pelletized black powder or Pyrodex?
Didn't know you could get it that way.

Living in Central California, even with all the open land, it's difficult to find a place to shoot.

More better here.
Plus I found a nice range about ten miles from the house.

I'm looking forward to getting the 6MM TCU sighted in.
Got it before I moved to Central Cali and only have 50 fire forming rounds through it.
The Leupold scope adjusters were darn near frozen up when I bought the long eye relief scope.
After a year and a half out fo warranty I sent it back to Leupold to see if it could be repaired.
They sent me a brand new one, but I never got around to getting it sighted in.

We have elk here, I can show you some right up the hill from me, but it's in an area you can't hunt.

Interesting too, with Arizona being such a conservative state, firearms laws are reasonable and sensible and there's quite a bit of hunting goes on.
Fishing on the Colorado River right down the hill - 30 miles - is popular with the fishermen.

Real funny part about AZ are the legal open carry laws.
I kept seeing guys in stores packing pistols and figured they were off duty police officers.
Just civilians.
My favorite was the about 90 + year old guy packing a little 380 auto and telling me stories about the Deuce roadster his mom bought him when he went to college.

AZ's an interesting place with a lot of history and where I live there's quite a hot rod presence.

Im using pyrodex pellets 2 @50 = 100 grains then the small 200 grain sabot. I havent tried the tripple 7 pellets yet but they claim they are even easier to clean . I got time to clean the gun with the pyrodex and thats what ive got so im using it. I actually found the tripple 7 cheaper than the pyrodex but id bought some and sighted the gun in with it so it was too late to change this season. went out last night and saw 3 or 4 as i was heading to the truck but no shot (like i need another deer) . Ive been busy with my dad trying to figure out this new medicade prescription junk. Looks like the government has us again. What a deal  :?:  Anyway ill be out saturday and sunday...............
Dave
ps: I think its hodgedon . com or something like that to look at the powder and pellets. My spelling is prolly wrong but a yahoo search will bring it up. also there is another powder company thats supposed to have a hot item also If i remember right its american powder or sumpin

TJ's Dad

QuoteReal funny part about AZ are the legal open carry laws.
Just civilians.

With very strict gun laws here if someone was spotted packing a pistol it would create front page news ........ the only pistols seen here are carried by police or security guards.

I live in the country and own a rifle which must be kept in a locked gun safe with ammo in a seperate locked location, people living in cities can only get a 'shooter licence' with great difficulty .... maybe for hunting but then you need a farmer to sign to say you are allowed to use his property for shooting.

A pistol licence is only allowed for gun club members and policed very tightly.

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

sirstude

The only time you hear about gun issues here is when a kid takes it to school for show and tell.  The folks do tend to get excited about that.  My wife was watching about that kid that allegedly shot his 15 year old girlfriends parents.  They mentioned that he got the guy at his grandparents house where they had 54 guys, adn sh just could not believe that anyone could have that many guns.  A friend of mine and I were talking about it and between us, we came up with 9 different people that would have at least 50 guns in their house.  Just not that unusual up here.

Welcome to the wild west
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us