700r question

Started by reborn55, December 05, 2005, 01:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Just bought a 57 Nomad with a 700r in it.  Supposed to be bone stock rebuild put in about 3 years ago.  Shifts great but soft.  Would like to firm the shifts if possible.  Also previous owner intalled a toggle swith to engage the lockup convertor which is a pain in the * to remember to engage and disengage.  Does this do harm to trans and what is the best way to make it fully automatic.  Thanks

1FATGMC

I have a TCI lockup kit in mine and like it and would recommend it, but there are others out there.  You will have to drop the pan, but they have the wiring and instructions for different versions of the 700R4.

The toggle switch won't hurt anything, but like you said it is a pain.  I have one in a Buick with a 200R4 and need to get it out of there.  

Your transmission can't lock the convertor in 1st even if you leave the switch on, but it will lug in those lower gears.

Is there a reason you want harder shifts?  Does it shift hard at WOT?  I've heard that with a stock one you don't want to just harden the shifts up like you would do with a 350 or 400, but don't know that for sure.  Tony what do you think about harder shifts with a stock or near stock 700?

I've got more info HERE .

c ya,  Sum

reborn55

Haven't gotten on it yet--drove it home in the rain.  Just wanted a better feel--not used to that trans in a tri-five.  Thanks

Crosley.In.AZ

A corvette style 2nd gear  servo set correctly for band clearance will firm up the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts a bit
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

reborn55

Great site on the 700R--Thanks