I've got power!

Started by 48builder, November 16, 2005, 01:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I finally hooked up my trunk-mounted battery to mire harness, and turned the key. My gauges sprung to life. I didn't try to turn the engine over yet, but that will come soon.

Here's the big deal about this moment. I am using the complete inner workings of a '95 Z28 in my '48 Chevy. I have the complete factory wiring harness in the car, complete with all the relays, etc. I am using the Z28's switches as well. Last night I tried the power door locks, and they work great. Will get the power windows tested this weekend. I also have the remote entry module, the reserve accessory power module, the VATS (for now). I have the data link center so I can check any error codes I get. I may have to shorten a few sections of wire, but I am trying to leave everything as is. It's a tight fit for some of the components, but if anything goes wrong, I have the factory service manuals that have step-by-step troubleshooting instructions for all systems. All of this for a few hours (okay more than a few) labor. I would have spent a similar amount fo time with an after market setup.

BTW, anybody have a source for the different wire ends in case I need to shorten some wires? I don't want to cut and splice. I'd rather pull the ends out of the connectors, shorten the wires, and put new ends back on.

BFN

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

BFS57

Dear Walt;
I think what you need is shown on the Chevy Thunder web site. It is a "multi" kind of screwdriver thingy tool that can take the wires out and re install them in the plugs that go into the ecm or any module. I also saw these tools on a Harbor freight web site but I could never find it again!
So, Check out Chevythunder.com for what this amazing tool looks like!
Bruce

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Sounds like you are doing better than I would......  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48builder

Do I need both of these, or just the one that says for GM?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

The one that say GM covers most of them. But GM also used some Bosch Connectors that require the other tool, go figure.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

More tools is always a good thing!!

:shock:   :!:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)