Any Bose stereo experts out there?

Started by 48builder, October 28, 2005, 12:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

A little info first. I am using the complete inner workings of a '95 Z28 as the donor for my '48 Chevy sedan. I'm using everything; engine, tranny, steering column, rear, including the complete wiring harness. The car had the BOSE factory system, but I did not get the head unit. I do have the speakers and the powered subwoofer.

Here's the problem.

I was going to just buy an aftermarket head unit, or something like a newer Chrysler unit with tape and CD. However, I found out that the BOSE speakers have a different impedance, and will not work with aftermarket head unit. So if I use something other than the BOSE, I have to buy speakers, etc.

I went looking for a replacement BOSE unit, and found plenty, but was also told that I can only use one from a '95 Camaro. I'd like to find out if I can use a later model head unit from a car that had the powered sub.

Any idea where I can find out what might work? I had a local stereo repair shop guy tell me that it is hard to duplicate the sound of the BOSE sytems for the money. They wanted $325 for a refurbished head unit that I could use as is. I just want to evaluate my options before I commit.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

slocrow

Walt; You've got lots to think about before you go and do the Bose.
First off I would suggest a wrecking yard that specializes in Camaro's and/or possibly Vettes. They should best know what swaps in and out.
I've got a Bose set up in my 91 Vette and it pretty much is a big, costly, pain in the rear when parts go bad. It has speakers with their own amps. Not good! And they are $$$$$$$$$$$$
If the yards aren't any help then I suggest you just use the speaker wires and get an after market head unit and speakers. They usually have more features and I believe you can buy better for the bucks.
If you do go after market, they have so many options these days especially for music add on's, not to mention the MP3 which only lately the factory models are finally getting too. You can buy memory that works for any radio when you tune to a certain station. It has hours of space for about the size of 1/2 a cigar. Check the new stuff out. Maybe stop
in at your local Wall Mart and look around. You'll be surprised. I'd forget the Bose...............(My 2 cents) Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

I have a new Bose head unit for a 2000 Alero, I'll make you a deal on it if you can use it.

The problems with interchanging them lies with the connector. This one has a 32 pin connector on the back of the head unit, with a ribbon cable. If you can match connectors, they will usually interchange.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

I'm still doing research to find out what I can and can't do. It would be great to find an adapter cable I can use between another Bose head unit and my factory harness. I guess connectors changed after '95. I have emailed Bose and a few repair shops to see what I can find out.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Sean

Quote from: "48builder"I had a local stereo repair shop guy tell me that it is hard to duplicate the sound of the BOSE sytems for the money.

Bose systems do sound amazing, but they rely heavily on speaker placement. From what I understand, the system is fine tuned for whatever vehicle they are installed in. What sounds excellent in the interior space and layout of a Camaro, may end up being just mediocre in your car.

nzsimon

The reason everyone thinks bose sounds amazing is due to two things marketing and the fact they boost three frequencies ( called tickle frequencies) that the human ear hears easily
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "nzsimon"The reason everyone thinks bose sounds amazing is due to two things marketing and the fact they boost three frequencies ( called tickle frequencies) that the human ear hears easily

that may explain why I am unimpressed with Bose stuff.  I have damaged hearing.

At a museum this week , my wife says : " the camera is beeping",  I never heard it..... the camera, I heard my wife.  :shock:

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Sean

Quote from: "nzsimon"The reason everyone thinks bose sounds amazing...

The reason I think Bose sounds amazing is because Bose sounds amazing. "Tickle" frequencies or not.

My first experience with them was a small amplifier, a small subwoofer, and four small speakers about two inches square. That little system was hooked to a "Walkman" type CD player in a friends apartment. It sounded every bit as good as my full sized Pioneer rack system.

High quality or not though, I have never been able to get past the price of the stuff.

SKR8PN

The hardcore audiophiles have a saying........

No Highs......
No lows.......
It must be Bose!!

Seriously,I would look into an aftermarket system for your car. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run.  If you can find ANY good deal on a system you want,,go to "The Zeb".com and they will BEAT your best price deal. I got a SCREAMING deal on a Blaupunkt system thru them! Give it try!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

nzsimon

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "nzsimon"The reason everyone thinks bose sounds amazing...

The reason I think Bose sounds amazing is because Bose sounds amazing. "Tickle" frequencies or not.

My first experience with them was a small amplifier, a small subwoofer, and four small speakers about two inches square. That little system was hooked to a "Walkman" type CD player in a friends apartment. It sounded every bit as good as my full sized Pioneer rack system.

High quality or not though, I have never been able to get past the price of the stuff.

That's because you didn't have anything next to it too compare it too
It is the people going on about it sounding amazing that persists the myth
Like Macdonalds being a restaurant instead of a second rate hamburger stand and Monster cable making your stereo sound better smoke and mirrors combined with snake oil
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

48builder

My salvage yard friend calls me last week to tell me he just got a '95 Seville in with the Bose Premium Gold system in it. It works, so I am going to get it this Friday. He owes me for sewing his son's interior, so this is partial payment for it. Can't beat free. I'm getting the head unit and all the speakers. I don't need the speakers, but I'll see if they sound better than the Camara set and sell what I don't use.
'39 Chevy driver