Rust Removal

Started by parklane, October 31, 2005, 07:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

Quite a while ago, i read a post about removing rust from metal by putting it in a water/molasses mix. Anyone remember?? :?  :?

Thanks
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

tomslik

Quote from: "parklane"Quite a while ago, i read a post about removing rust from metal by putting it in a water/molasses mix. Anyone remember?? :?  :?

Thanks
John

don't remember that on here but it FOR SURE was on the H.A.M.B.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Her's a post from the Ozzy board

Kaz, 1 part molasses and 5 parts water mix and you get a rust remover.
I have a 200 ltr plastic drum with 20 ltr molasses and the rest with water.
Throw your parts in pull em out after min 3 weeks and presto, rust is gone. Some parts may require longer. I have heard of people filling those blue kiddies pools and even lined box trailers for bigger parts. An indication of price, I pay $12 for 20 ltr of molasses and it doesn't wear out.
Apparrently the rust and the molasses has some some sort of fermentation reaction and eats the rust away. If you do a Google search on "molasses rust removal" its quite a well used method. I'll post some pics up tomorrow of some clean parts. Great way to get all the rust out of an engine cooling jacket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

parklane

Thanks Frank......you're just a bottomless pit of knowledge. You must be at least part dutch. Me, I'm just a bottomless pit of.......uh.... :?  :? ..I forget!!

John

X38

Works real well. How? I was talking with an old sugar cane farmer last Christmas and ran it by him, and he told me molasses was very high in phosphorous. And phosphoric acid is used a lot in rust removal eg. I think a lot of metal prep solutions are basically phosphoric acid. Mmmm, a connection?

That's about where my chemistry theory gets to anyway. Next...

GPster

MoleASSES, just think last year everyone was coming up with ways to get them out of their yard. GPster

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "GPster"MoleASSES, just think last year everyone was coming up with ways to get them out of their yard. GPster

LOL  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Dirk35

I did it for my Windshield Regulator. It will NOT work anywhere there is oil/grease on the part! Clean them good with Dawn Dish Soap.

I mixed 2 water to 1 molasses. Let it soak for a four-five weeks in the warm garage. Stinks of a bad super sweet smell. Works great (except where it was oily!

parklane

Will it remove paint, or soften it? I sent some stuff away where they dipped it to get rid of the paint, but it would be nice if you could do that at home. If this doesn't remove paint, does anyone have a brain wave on a solution to soak things in to remove paint at home?? The trouble with paint stripper is it only works on the parts you can get at with brush/spray

John  :D

1FATGMC

So I could use this on the motorcycle tank I posted about a while back.  Mix it up, put it in the tank and check back about Christmas.

Sounds easier than rocks, marbles, etc.  :D  and I won't be working on the bike before then anyway.

c ya, Sum

47wood

A good place to buy molasses in bulk is a farmer supply.  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Mr Cool

Quote from: "parklane"Will it remove paint,
NO.
And another thing, NEVER put anything alloy into the mixture. I had a friend do a tailgate and was too lazy to remove the handle. Turned out he didnt have to, the molasses did the job for him in about 2 weeks, but the bolts were now nice and clean though.  :D
When you remove the items from the bath wash thoroughly and coat immediately with a sealant before surfact rust occurs, which is very quick.

When you have finished with the mixture tip it onto the lawn/garden, its a great fertiliser.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.