56 F100 Hood Hinge Springs

Started by mrloboy, October 27, 2005, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I am currently assembling a 56 F100 and would like to tighten the hood hinges springs up some. Right now the hood will not stay up on its own. I believe that if I tighten the coil on revolution it would do the trick. Anyone have any experience with this? Is there a special tool available or one I could fabricate? Rick

toledobill

I'd always heard that F100's had serious problems with the hood hinges and alignment.  I know there are a number of conversions that reverse the opening so that it hinges at the front.  The owners I've talked with that kept the original hinges usually had a "prop" rod (a cut-off broomstick) and a a set procedure for lifting and lowering the hood so as not to damage the surrounding surfaces.

I googled "F100 hood hinge" and got reacquainted with the problem and a few of the aftermarket solutions.  Here's one of them, hope it helps.

http://www.classicperform.com/tilthoodford.htm

mrloboy

I like the tilt system and would use it on my own project, but unfortunately this is on a customers pickup. It is a ground up original restoration of a Mercury M350 and modifications are not an option available to me. :(

The kit outlined in the link looks like a nice unit. Wish I could have located that 10 years ago when I had my '55 F100!   Rick

toledobill

Well, it was worth a try.  Hope you get an answer on tightening the springs.  If not, there'e always the prop rod.