Chevy 350 TBI Acts like it running out of fuel

Started by rooster, October 27, 2005, 08:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I have a 94 GMC 350 tbi a/trans. The problem first started after returning home from the HAMB DRags, A good 8 hours run to and from! Starts fine but when I start out in the morning with the engine still cool it acts like its starved for fuel after 15-20 MPH. I can get the truck up to around 50 are so but its a PIA and takes a long time. I have to feather the pedal to get responce, A 1/4 of a inch to far on the pedal and it act stared, I let up and it responds! Its * people off. After its warmed up it still not right but much better. I got a preasure tester today for HF and im going to do that first and at the same time replace the filter.

Anyone familuar with this symptom, or a fix?

Ive done some reading over at CT about simmular problems, witch its loaded with, but there seems no one who knows!

entodad

Quote from: "rooster"I have a 94 GMC 350 tbi a/trans. The problem first started after returning home from the HAMB DRags, A good 8 hours run to and from! Starts fine but when I start out in the morning with the engine still cool it acts like its starved for fuel after 15-20 MPH. I can get the truck up to around 50 are so but its a PIA and takes a long time. I have to feather the pedal to get responce, A 1/4 of a inch to far on the pedal and it act stared, I let up and it responds! Its * people off. After its warmed up it still not right but much better. I got a preasure tester today for HF and im going to do that first and at the same time replace the filter.

Anyone familuar with this symptom, or a fix?

Ive done some reading over at CT about simmular problems, witch its loaded with, but there seems no one who knows!

I had a similar set of symptoms with my '89 TBI Silverado, changing the fuel filter fixed it right up.
Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Crosley.In.AZ

Fuel filters should be replaced at 15- 20 k miles on these EFI vehicles.

I'd check that first , unless you know the filter is good.

Then run a pressure / flow check
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

I have to agree with Doug and Tony!

Change the filter before you do much else.

I experienced somewhat similar symptoms on an '88 350 TBI, and a new filter did the trick.

Also, remember that even if the filter is only a few months old, it can be clogged/restricted from one tank of dirty gas.

I think some filters have a check valve built-in, so a sticking check could also cause problems.  ....The strainer on the pump inlet could also be fouled.  ....Or, the pump may be on its way out.

Try the easiest thing first!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

rooster

Thats all it was! Cloged filter!  Couldent even blow through it.  Thanks !

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Just goes to show, check the basics first. :lol:

Fair warning. You were filling up at the same stations I was! If thats the case. :P

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Just goes to show, check the basics first. :lol:

I always tell guys ; " it is the simple things that will get you" with cars and I guess many things in life.

good to hear you found the problem.

Just an FYI:  I have found on these TBi vehicles that when a fuel pump or filter is going bad , some times the vehicle acts like it is flooding out at idle like a carb type vehicle would
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)