Emergency Brake Cables

Started by tonto1, October 22, 2005, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

Finally getting around to putting an "E" brake on my "41 Chevrolet, and of course the cable lengths are wrong.  What's an acceptable method of  splicing the cables?
As always, appreciate any and all the help.
tonto
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

enjenjo

Well, there are several ways of doing it. To shorten cables, I make a new end out of soft iron, and swedge it on the cable. If it's a loop type cable, you can drill two holes through a block just big enough for the cables, and tap for a couple set screws to hold each cable. I have also seen regular cable clamps used, but it looks kind of tacky.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

Thanks for the info.
The cable clamps were my first thought, but I felt the same way. Kinda hokey looking.
Does anyone ever use nicopress.  It would look a little better, but will it hold?
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

phat rat

another way would be to measure and find what  length you need and go to a friendly parts store that will let you go through their brake book. It'll list cable lengths and applications. That way it's easy to duplicate even on the road if needed.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I don't have any idea what nicopress is.

GPster

There are some motorcycles that use cable actuated brakes and that cable is heavier than throttle cable. Some times a decent shop is equiped with rolls of cable and assorted ends and can make or modify a cable for you. If you've got the cable housing with the fasteners they might be able to put a new cable inside of it for you. GPster

Kctom

Quote from: "enjenjo"I don't have any idea what nicopress is.

It is a copper sleave that you slip the cable into make a loop and stick it in the other side and squeeze in in a tool. Most garage doors have a alum. one to hold the cable splice. Mostly used in airplanes on control cables.

Kctom

Quote from: "tonto1"Thanks for the info.
The cable clamps were my first thought, but I felt the same way. Kinda hokey looking.
Does anyone ever use nicopress.  It would look a little better, but will it hold?

in aircraft cables the nicopress is mostly used to make a eye in the end of a cale rapped around a metai loop or metal button with a hole it it for a clevis bolt or pin. when done correctly it will equal the strengh of the cable

enjenjo

Quote from: "Kctom1"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I don't have any idea what nicopress is.

It is a copper sleave that you slip the cable into make a loop and stick it in the other side and squeeze in in a tool. Most garage doors have a alum. one to hold the cable splice. Mostly used in airplanes on control cables.

Ok, I've used hundreds, if not thousands of them, and never knew the name.

32coupe

I went to my local boat workshop, the yatch types use lots of stainless cable fittings and they usually have a crimping tool on site so they can make up any cable that you want.

I got a new adjuster crimped onto my own cable at the length that I needed.

Saved me a lot of time and trouble doing it this way :wink:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Crosley.In.AZ

I've used steel brake line tube.  Squeezed it together , then a touch of brass with the oxy / acetylene torch.  

Not TOO hot on the steel cable, you will ruin it!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

If ya don't wanna splice them........... :x
Control Cables inc. has them pretty cheap.
I just ordered 2 for my disc rear end. 62" long steel cable with
3/8" ball on one end for $11.00 each.
thought that was cheap enough.  8)

www.controlcables.com

I think thats the url  :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****