trailer tie downs

Started by enjenjo, October 19, 2005, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

My trailer ties down straps are getting a bit ragged, they are about 12 years old. Looking at new onesThe ones I have use a loop around the axle or suspension, and snap onto the frame of the trailer, never had a problem with them coming loose. My buddy is recommending wheel straps/baskets, that fit over the wheel. The only time I used them, the car moved around a lot. It didn't come loose, just slid around. Any opinions?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

We use the ones that go round the axle. I'm like you, I think they are better.
Question,
Do you have a drawing of a tv lever to add to an Edelbrock carb? Save me the time of doin one. :lol:  Gonna change the truck to a 700r4.
Don

Quote from: "enjenjo"My trailer ties down straps are getting a bit ragged, they are about 12 years old. Looking at new onesThe ones I have use a loop around the axle or suspension, and snap onto the frame of the trailer, never had a problem with them coming loose. My buddy is recommending wheel straps/baskets, that fit over the wheel. The only time I used them, the car moved around a lot. It didn't come loose, just slid around. Any opinions?
Don Colliau

enjenjo

QuoteDo you have a drawing of a tv lever to add to an Edelbrock carb?

There is one on 1fatGMC's website  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

It;s the one I use.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteDo you have a drawing of a tv lever to add to an Edelbrock carb?

There is one on 1fatGMC's website  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

It;s the one I use.

Thanks Frank
Don Colliau

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "enjenjo"My trailer ties down straps are getting a bit ragged, they are about 12 years old. Looking at new onesThe ones I have use a loop around the axle or suspension, and snap onto the frame of the trailer, never had a problem with them coming loose. My buddy is recommending wheel straps/baskets, that fit over the wheel. The only time I used them, the car moved around a lot. It didn't come loose, just slid around. Any opinions?

I've used them both - but I prefer to strap around the axle & suspension - just seams to be a better hold. There's nothing wrong with the wheel straps - I just prefer the other system - maybe just old fashion :?

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

phat rat

I vote in favor of axle straps
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

SKR8PN

I have never had a problem using axle straps..........
i see no reason to change :D
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

parklane

I use the type that go into the holes in the frame like the auto haulers use. That way you don't get any movement of the vehicle at all. My $0.02

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Dennis the Menace

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I have never had a problem using axle straps..........
i see no reason to change :D

I go with SKR8PN, I use Axel straps to strap my car or my tractor to the trailer.
Dennis
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

Crosley.In.AZ

Axle straps or chains and always have 2 straps on the rear of the car on the trailer.

Most folks never think that in a crash they will be going forward at some speed.  2 straps on the rear of the car on the trailer may keep it from coming off the trailer into the tow vehicle.

Like you enjenjo  ,  I have used the same straps for many years.  Time to buy some new ones.   :arrow:  :idea:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Last time I towed one I used the wheel straps, seemed to work pretty well.  It moved a little in the first 2-4mi, which made one of them a little loose.  Pulled it down again and it rode another 120mi without moving.  Still, no reason to change to another system if it's working for you.

Just a thought here, but when tying a motorcycle down it's normally done by compressing the forks as much as possible.  That way there's no way to bounce the straps loose.  The back end is tied in place enough to keep it from moving from side to side but without so much attention to compression.  At least that's the way my friends and I always did it.  To apply that principle to hauling a car straps over or hooked on the frame would be the ticket.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Well, I think I am going to stick woth the axle straps, they have worked for me for many years, I don't see a need to change.

My thought on tying down on the frame, The car haulers do tie down that way, but the points they use are determined by the manufacturer, and they crank them down really hard.  May of the cars I haul aren't set up for that. My theory is to tie the axles down, and let the body bounce.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, I think I am going to stick woth the axle straps, they have worked for me for many years, I don't see a need to change.

My thought on tying down on the frame, The car haulers do tie down that way, but the points they use are determined by the manufacturer, and they crank them down really hard.  May of the cars I haul aren't set up for that. My theory is to tie the axles down, and let the body bounce.

yep.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)