brakes for my 48?

Started by river1, October 16, 2005, 08:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

ok my 48 ford has the original NON self-energizing brakes. they are a little scary to this fella that drives an 04 as a daily.

what do i need to put self energizers on?

as i understand it i need backing plates from a 53-56 f100 pu with the innards of a 53-66 f100. is that true?

any other backing plate work? any idea where i might find some? the innards can be found at NAPA, no? drums too?

thanks for all help

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

You need the F100 drums too, the effie brakes are 11", your stock ones are 12" If you can find some early F2, 48 to 53, backing plates, they will work with your stock drums. Also 40 Lincoln used a 12" Bendix brake that will fit Ford axles. You can also use Wilson Welding adapters, to mount Buick backing plates, and use Buick drums
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I did this one time and the only problem was with the steering and it's easily taken care of. '48 to '? F1 brakes are also self energizing 11" and they happen to use the same size kingpin as the early Fords. Change them out spindles, brakes and drums. The steering problem has to do with the F1 steerin with a drag link so there's no place for the second tie rod end on the passenger side for cross steer. 11/16" Ford tie rod end thread happens to be the same as early Jeep and they used a long tie rod end with a tapered boss in the shankto put a tie rod end into (Speedway has them also). A little bit of cutting and threading can get you aimed in the right direction. GPster

1FATGMC

Driving in the traffic you do there and the speeds people drive I would forgo old in this case and convert to disc brakes in the front.

Who is ever going to see what you have on there.

c ya, Sum

river1

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Driving in the traffic you do there and the speeds people drive I would forgo old in this case and convert to disc brakes in the front.

c ya, Sum

well i was hoping for better brakes with a minimum of fuss, f100 brakes are practically a bolt on. this would leave me more time to work on the 53 while i drive the 48.

later jim

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"Driving in the traffic you do there and the speeds people drive I would forgo old in this case and convert to disc brakes in the front.

c ya, Sum

well i was hoping for better brakes with a minimum of fuss, f100 brakes are practically a bolt on. this would leave me more time to work on the 53 while i drive the 48.

later jim

Nice car Jim.
I had a look in my database.  Frank Oddo covered this F100 brake swap many times in his 'shop manual' segment in Street Rodder; eg.1/06/81; 01/09/83; 1/12/84; 1/06/89 & 1/02/94 (This one with part numbers)
Other 'hits' included American Rodder1/08/97; and Steve Coonan in Street Rodder1/02/92

Okiedokie

I miss Frank Oddo doing the tech section in Street Rodder.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "river1"well i was hoping for better brakes with a minimum of fuss, f100 brakes are practically a bolt on. this would leave me more time to work on the 53 while i drive the 48.

later jim

This (  http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page80.html ) or someone else's similar setup is a bolt on that you should be able to do in a day and end up with some brakes at a resonable cost.

c ya, Sum

river1

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "river1"well i was hoping for better brakes with a minimum of fuss, f100 brakes are practically a bolt on. this would leave me more time to work on the 53 while i drive the 48.

later jim

This (  http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page80.html ) or someone else's similar setup is a bolt on that you should be able to do in a day and end up with some brakes at a resonable cost.

c ya, Sum

yes but that doesn't include the mastercylinder or the new brake lines you need to hook it all up. the loooong term plan is discs for the 48 and putting the drums from the 48 on the 29. the flathead will go to the 29 at the same time. i know where you're coming from and may end up there sooner then later but right now i want to try to keep the mods to a minimum.

later jim

GPster

A lot of the disc brake set-ups are going to change the wheel lug pattern so you will end up with two bolt patterns or adapters. !2" brake drums have room under 16" wheels but get a little close under 15" wheels so some brake system with 11" drums would be less likely to fade under a wheel that's more convienent to get tires for. I'd keep it one to have fun with, one to work on and one to plan on. That Ford's a neat car,just play with. GPster