DUPONT SINGLE STAGE PAINT PROBLEM

Started by 47-forvette, October 21, 2005, 10:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47-forvette

I just wanted to check and see if anyone has had a problem color sanding and polishing Dupont single stage paint.  A buddy of mine just painted a car white, and when he started polishing it after several rounds of meticulous color sanding it appeared that the coats of paint did not blend together.  The paint rep called it "rings" and said it was some times an issue with their white and light blue.  Anybody else have this or a similar experience???
\\\\\\\"Zen @ 102 MPH\\\\\\\"

Leon

I had that happen with PPG a while back, which is why if I want to color sand I use a two stage paint.  Don't know how to get around it.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have not painted vehicles in a number of years.  

I do remember being very careful when color sanding and wheeling a single stage paint job for the reason mentioned.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

shine

you can only sand so much of a coat of paint before polishing. pigment tends to float to the top. sand a red car too much and it will turn orange. with todays single stage you have to shoot it slick. many advise against color sanding. you cant shoot it rough and sand it out anymore. best bet is to color sand and shoot another slick coat. every coat adds trash and texture.