Got a question from a friend

Started by phat46, October 12, 2005, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "jaybee""I don't know about pulse, but I wouldn't think so, is there any way to check that?"

Just had to answer that very question on one of my own.  Unhook the injector plug and probe it with a grounded test light.  Crank the engine.  The light should flash.  Either bright or dark but constant is a failure.  It could show a dim light if it's pulsing too fast to see as a pulse.  That wasn't an issue with the multiport system I'm dealing with but might be with some others.  As cross check you could also hook your test light to the positive battery terminal and repeat.  Some units signal the injector by grounding it so you have to provide power instead of ground in order to test.  I think all GM units signal the injector by powering it. Mechanics have lights that plug into the injector harness to perform this test.

the computer GROUNDS the circuit to make the test light flash so, hook the test light to B+ and probe  the wires at the injectors.
have somebody crank it over, it should flash on one of the PAIR of wires.
the other wire(in the pair) should have a constant battery voltage
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"He will probably have tp change the prom. What is he using for a distributor?

O.K. today at work i gave him all the info I gathered from here last night. I see there is more today!!!  He is changing to the 350 PROM today. It has the distributor from the 350, T.B. injected.

tomslik

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "enjenjo"He will probably have tp change the prom. What is he using for a distributor?

O.K. today at work i gave him all the info I gathered from here last night. I see there is more today!!!  He is changing to the 350 PROM today. It has the distributor from the 350, T.B. injected.

it still should run without the prom change.
bet you still have other probs but keep us posted.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

it still should run without the prom change.
bet you still have other probs but keep us posted.

should run with the 4.3 prom, just not well.

I agree, there may be other problems if it does not startup.

Check the grounds from engine to frame , wire harness to engine. Usually there is a group of grounds on the EFI engine ... 3 or 4 wires at one spot
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

He got it running at 1:30 a.m. this morning. It was apparently a wiring issue, he didn't tell me he used a dash from a different year truck that was a manual trans and the truck he is building is an auto. He basicaly changed the dash back to the origianl one and it started.  It wouldn't start with the 350 prom in the computer so he put the 4.3 prom back in a nd it started. I dunno, I'm still confused..... :?