'47 to '55 Chevy/GMC truck cab width

Started by GPster, October 15, 2005, 11:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The door hinges look OK. The windshield's not broken and the roof's not wrinkled but There's no floor foreward of the seat riser and no original firewall below the windshield wiper motor. The door hinge frames looked good so I built the cowl mounts off of them. Maybe my problems are that the lower hinge mounts are too far apart and causing the tops of the doors to hit? Has anyone got one of these trucks or just a cab and can get some measurements for me? Because Enjenjo said the hinges where  the same per position on all the cabs I'd think the hinge position would be the same. Maybe if I had the dimension between the lower left and lower right hinge bolt centers I could tell if I have my cab too wide or too narrow at the bottom. When I have it right I could diagonal measure from the top to bottom hinges and square everything up. I've got $200.00 in a pair of doors and to me it makes more sense to make the cab right to fit the doors than to butcher the doors to fit a butchered opening. Who knows, I bay want to roll the windows up. GPster

enjenjo

The lower hinge, top bolts, on the inside measure 58 3/8" apart. I may have confused you joe, all four hinges are different. But they are the same from model to model. so the left upper hinge will fit only that position, but will work on any cab made from 47 to 54.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"The lower hinge, top bolts, on the inside measure 58 3/8" apart. I may have confused you joe, all four hinges are different.
I understood you perfectly about the hinges,I just can't repeat it. Your dimension and my dimension match perfectly so it's time to refigure. Maybe I'll go to 5:30 mass tonight and pray for it. GPster

OldSub

Quote from: "GPster"no floor foreward of the seat riser

Could the lower hinges be too far forward?  If the inner panel that runs between the front and rear door posts was missing, the cab might bend enough to shift the pockets forward...  Or at least I'd expect so.

I've taken a few of these cabs apart, and with the common rust problems I've seen they can be pretty flimsy.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

GPster

Quote from: "OldSub"Could the lower hinges be too far forward?  If the inner panel that runs between the front and rear door posts was missing, the cab might bend enough to shift the pockets forward...
My problem is that the top of the driver's door is sunk in too far. With the door in the opening I seem to have an even space around the peremeter and the body revels line up but the top hinge seems in too far even with it adjusted out as far as it will go. I had thought that if the bottom hinge was too far out it might exagerate the top of the door being in too far. The bottom hinge checks being in the right place and the top hinge pocket is so close to the bottom of the dash and the top of the cowl it seems better braced than the lower hinge pocket. My concentration can only deal with one problem per project at a time. This one will have to be solved to my satisfaction before I can deal with much more on this truck. GPster