Chevys 49-54 , Stock front suspension, parts

Started by rooster, October 14, 2005, 11:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Been helping RatBandit with his frontend getting it ready to place disks on the front, but first we have have got to get the front end right. There is a threaded bolt that goes throught the spring tower  that the upper control are pivots on. How does this come out? We have found some of these parts NOS but still looking for the upper control arm hardware.

GPster

First, I would find and old Motors Manual and look at it for adjusting/aligning the front suspension. Some of the adjustments are in how those trunions are put together. Also,in the looking for disc brakes have him check around on old Corvette sites. They used some of this suspension until '58 or '62. Should be some information there. I can't believe someone hasn't tried to "Hot Rod" an old Corvette. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"First, I would find and old Motors Manual and look at it for adjusting/aligning the front suspension. Some of the adjustments are in how those trunions are put together. Also,in the looking for disc brakes have him check around on old Corvette sites. They used some of this suspension until '58 or '62. Should be some information there. I can't believe someone hasn't tried to "Hot Rod" an old Corvette. GPster

I have the book! Thanks, I see no way to get the bolt out of the spring tower without destroying it. It only comes out the front. I dont know what the thred size is yet might double nut it.

On the upper control arm (outer) there is a adjustmant for the caster & Camber, That appears to be in good shape! It still had greese in it. Some new bushings there is all we would need. Dont know about the other side yet, 1 side at a time , this is new ground for us.

Jr got some disk off ebay!  rotors,calipers,pads,eci adapt plate w/bearing adapter, barrings, hoses, 53 uprights w/new bushings,spindle's, new kingpins. about 225$.  Hes happy!

Alot of the suspension stuff we need is all on the upper control arms. The swap meets around here have been rained out , so that makes things a bit harder. Ill know more by the end of the weekend. Thanks!!!!!!