Old cars, old pals and old car clubs.

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, October 06, 2005, 07:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Had an e-mail from PhatRat today - while on his travels to the west coast he went to the NSRA Museum - probably yesterday.

While looking at some stuff there he ran across a "courtesy card" for the Road Gents car club here in Muskegon (for those youngsters who never heard of the courtesy card, it was a business card that had the club logo on it and a phrase something like; "You have just been helped by_____ ______ of the Road Gents Car Club of Muskegon, Michigan."). Surprised, he took the Museum director outside and showed him his Road Gents placque hanging on the back of his '41.

I have one hanging on my '40 Chevy also.

So what you say? Well, we were fresh out of high school in about '62 or '63 when we met each other in NHRA sanctioned Road Gents car club and became life long pals. There were probably a couple hundred guys in that club over about 10 active years and I believe Jack and I are the only  ones still hot-rodding.

I think that's kind of amazing. It would be even more amazing if I could still zip up the Road Gents jacket hanging downstairs.

I guess we'll just go for another 40 years or so!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat46

Hey that's cool. It's a small world, wouldn't you like to know the story behind how that card got to Califonia...

Charlie Chops 1940

I'd guess that the club secretary, whoever that was, sent it in once we got them. The guys who ran the club in the early fays were "older" guys, experienced in that sort of thing - LOL.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"There were probably a couple hundred guys in that club over about 10 active years and I believe Jack and I are the only  ones still hot-rodding.
Charlie

It doesn't have to be and old club Charlie. We had 45 members in the Sunset Outlaws in 1993. Club has long folded - Jerry, Ed, my Dad & I are the only ones still going!

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

KustomLincolnLady

Thats a neat story Charlie!!!!!  Don't feel bad none of our old club jackets fit us either  :shock:  lol

Debb

Charlie Chops 1940

The Road Gents was just part of the trip. I remember how crazy I was about cars when I was about 14 or 15. Some of the older guys in our neighborhood were in the Fruitport Drag-ons and they had all the slang of the day. I can almost remember the first time I ever heard some of the cool terms - like duece coupe, Vette, chopped 'n channeled. Discovered the Henry Gregor Felson books and just inhaled them. I imagined I would be Bud someday.

Like almost every other gearhead I've ever known.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Bob K

The cool factor of seeing that card was priceless. I couldn't believe it, when I first saw the Road Gents name I thought it must be another club that came along later and had the same name. I was speeechless when I read Muskegon, Mi. The club folded about 1967 or 68. While I was there I also had the pleasure of seeing the Chrisman dragster being pushed in for display and got pics of it before the chains and stanchions were in place. They have a cruise night there the 1st Wed of every month and this month Willys were the featured car. Was pretty cool seeing all the Willys there from street rod style to 60's style gasser. Saw a lot of really nice cars. Bob K and I also had thepleasure of dining mexican style last night with DRD57 and his future bride Cindy,WaynO and a fellow whose name I don't remember. He was driving a 36 3 window with a "500" Caddy and a T-5. Don was driving his 32. Forgot I'm on BobK's putor
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

river1

Quote from: "Bob K"and a fellow whose name I don't remember. He was driving a 36 3 window with a "500" Caddy and a T-5.

that would be mike, good fella. when we were out there for the fathers day week we watched mike start that bad boy up.  that would be mike's 36 next to wayneO's 36 next to my 48.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Bob K

Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Elmo Rodge

Don told me you bought the Sedan, Jim. Glad it went to a good home. Wayno